S I X

CHAPTER SIX
NO SANCTUARY

CHAPTER SIXNO SANCTUARY

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"This is fucking crazy." Javi mutters under his breath, bitter and utterly disgusted.

I look away from my hand, which almost feels like a entirely new one, and see Javi standing there. The cloth over his clothes is covered in walker blood and guts, just as Carol and I are, but Javi isn't as accustomed.

"Don't forget your face." I chuckle. He nearly blanches at the mere suggestion.

I stick my bloodied hands in the wet mud, lathering it on there as thick as I can. I wipe my dirty hands down my face, across my forehead and cheeks. With a sour face, Javi does the same.

Carol smears the mud along her forehead, now fully covered in guts and dirt from head to toe. I glance down at my unsightly appearance and I know I will blend right into the herd. I wish Glenn were here to give me advice on walking among the dead, he'd know exactly what to say to get me through this.

"Let's head out." Carol calls to us, already up on her feet.

Javi and I follow her lead, trailing behind her like a second shadow. We don't walk through the woods long before we come across the hoard and mix among them. I do as I always do when I'm stressed: count my breaths, count every step.

Carol leventually looks over her shoulder at us, nodding to the space before her. Javi and I pick up the pace, following her right to a chain-linked fence. There are a few other walkers pressed against it, attempting to claw their way through, but that's not what worries me.

Inside the safety of the fences, I see them. Our people.

The first person I see is Rick, then Bob, and lastly my eyes land on the two people that kept me going. Glenn and Daryl. They're all laying on the ground, waving their white flags, and letting themselves be pinned there.

Men pick all of them up off the cement ground, one by one, hauling them towards the building. They don't seem to be hurt, but I know they won't stay that way for long. The man we're holding in the cabin bragged about what they do— bleeding people out— like it was nothing.

"This way." Carol whispers, once again light on her feet.

I stay where I am, watching them take the two most important people in my life away. If only there was a way I could let them know I'm here, a way to tell them that I won't let anything happen to them, and that these people will pay for it.