F I V E

CHAPTER FIVE
STREAMS IN THE WASTELAND

CHAPTER FIVESTREAMS IN THE WASTELAND

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My hands shake as I close the bullet wound on Scott's leg. It took me too long to thread the stitches through the needle, so much so that I had to have Michonne help me do it. I tie off the last stitch as I try to keep my tears from showing.

I start re-wrapping Scott's injury. I do my best to focus on the positives. It could have been worse, his wound. The bullet luckily went straight through, and it missed all his important arteries. The negatives attempt to break through— but he can't walk, your sutures are messy, your husband might be dead— but I push them away before I can linger on them. Before I begin to hear the truth in them.

I put the bandages away once I'm finished, packing up all the supplies I packed for emergencies. For outcomes like this. There's hardly anything left anymore. If anybody else gets hurt, I might not be able to help them.

"Annie," Heath breaks the stillness of the isle we're all seated in, "I'm gonna figure out a crutch for you."

I already took a look at her ankle. It's started to swell, and it's very tender. From my limited knowledge, it's a pretty bad sprain. I didn't pack any medicine, so I had to opt to just wrap it the best I could to give her ankle some semblance of support.

"Just leave me." Says Annie, her tone flat. She means it.

"What?" Asks Heath.

Annie meets his gaze with her head held high, "I'm slowing you down. We're gonna hit more roamers. It's that simple. Leave me."

"Leave us." Adds Scott.

"No. I didn't spend time stitching you up," I deny, point blank as I zip up my bag. I turn to Annie next, "And Glenn and I didn't carry your ass, just to leave either of you behind. That's not gonna happen, and I don't want to hear you guys say another word about it."

"We got eachother's backs just like always, okay? We don't leave people behind." Adds Heath, his tone sharp as he looks between Annie and Scott. I'm about to be grateful, but then he turns to Michonne and I and pointedly says: "Not us."

Michonne narrows her eyes, "No one is leaving anyone behind."

Heath breaks eye contact with her first, "I'm gonna find something for you, Annie."

Heath stands up and walks away, and my feet pick me up before I can think twice about it. Michonne softly calls out my name, almost pleading, but I follow him anyways. My heart stammers in my chest.