39: His Hidden Past

"I'm Dr Kim Seokjin. I was Jeon Jungkook's childhood psychiatrist."

My mouth falls open, flabbergasted with all the air inside my lungs is suddenly sucked away just by a few simple yet astonishing words. "I-I'm sorry....what?" I mumble breathlessly. My knees turn weak as I struggle to understand what I was just told.

"I've been trying to find you for a while, Miss Lee. Ever since Jungkook gave me a surprise yet absurd visit recently...Um, could I come in? There's a lot I'd like to discuss with you," Seokjin asks in the politest manner to cut through our awkward silence. "Oh, o-of course" I immediately reply, stepping aside for him to enter.

Closing the door behind me, I lead Seokjin to the lounge room where we both take a seat on opposite ends of the sofa. "Ugh, I'm not sure to know where to start since I think I dropped a bomb on you too quickly," Jin says as there is a slightly strange atmosphere between the two of us.

"It's alright...You said you were Jungkook's psychiatrist?"

Flashback
Seokjin POV

I took another sip of my coffee, enjoying the morning air before my hectic work schedule starts. I sighed realising how difficult it is to be treating several patients while also studying a further branch of medicine whilst also awaiting my results on a previous test. Doing all these things at once is hard but it's essential for me to keep studying more if I want to go further and higher in my career. As I was lost in my thoughts, a figure turned on the street in front of me bringing my attention back to reality. It was a little boy. Normally I wouldn't think anything of a school kid walking in front of me on their way to school. But strangely I couldn't take my eyes off him. It was so confusing because the aura he carried just somehow told me, something was not right. I don't know how but it was like a siren started ringing in my ear from the second my eyes landed on this kid. All I could see was that this random boy looked no older than 10 from height. His shirt was way too big for him that I have no idea why he would wear such a thing to school, plus it had several rips confusing me further as to why his parents would even allow a kid to wear that at all. His school bag was a torn piece of cloth which I have no idea how it carries what he needs. He walked with his head hanging low as if he's used to being in such a horrible condition. How many 10 year old kids do you see walking to school like this?

I had almost forgotten about the coffee in my hand and also my way to work. I found myself following this mysterious boy, pacing slowly behind him so he didn't notice. I could hear his mumbling words.
"Why are you crying? It could have been worse. What if she hit you with a belt? No will notice a little bruise on your cheek......Well, no notices you either way. Not even if you just die...
Besides you deserve it.
You deserve everything you get.
Of course mum was going to hit you and take away your bed if you shouted at her like that...Hey at least I still have a pillow and blanket to sleep on the floor with. She didn't take that away.
It's fine.
It's better than having no proper meals for a week.
That was horrible..."

There were no words to describe just how shocked I felt right then and there. My mouth hung agape as I'd never heard a little kid degrade and speak to himself like that. And who...his mother? What she doing to her child?!

From that moment I knew. I had to help this boy. I couldn't just leave him. He needs my help. I started walking to work more often just to see him in a portion of my walk. And everyday he looked almost the same. And the mumbling got worse. The horrible things he revealed on his way to school as I listened to him, left me speechless every time. But I needed to know a bit more about this kid before I approached him.

Not long after on I took action and spoke to him. He was so afraid of me. I didn't expect any difference of course. But it took a long time for him to finally allow me to have conversations with him. I didn't tell him I was a psychiatrist though. That would scare him. In an attempt to get on a more friendly basis with the child, I asked him to call me hyung. Perhaps it will be easy for him to open up that way.