Chapter 2

Miguel de Unamuno

It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.

After I had dinner, Jordan invited me to play with him in his room. He knew who he was messing with and chose to ignore the fact that I'm the best in the game. When we play, I always end up winning most of the time. It was not like he was bad but I was the boss. Just as I was about to finish him, the door suddenly opened as Grace barged in.

Gosh, why does she have to ruin my good mood?

"Royalty, get up your dad's here." She chirps in excitement.

My heart picked race as it pounds after as the second ticks by, I froze in where I sat but my hands were trembling. I held my chest feeling the fast rate my heart was beating. My body went rigid and stiff but then I felt someone pulling me away from Jordan's room. I was pushed down the stairs which made me run fast. I was careful so I would not stumble and fall. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of him, he was sitting on the couch with the usual furious look if I did something he doesn't like or appreciate. Well, there's nothing I do he likes. The honey-brown eyes I got from him landed on mine and even without him saying a word, the rage in his eyes tells everything.

I locked my palms together as I got my trembling voice out.

"Good evening, daddy."

Before I could say anything else, he did part two of what Grace had done earlier today with her friends. He held up the paper in my face like I was shortsighted. I hadn't even noticed my eyes had drifted to Grace's as the victorious smirk plays on her lips, then back to my angry-looking dad.

"IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND SIMPLE LOGIC IN MATHS THEN WHAT DO YOU HAVE UP THERE?" His booming voice made my heart skip a beat. He threw the paper at my face as my lips started to curve downwards as I silently prayed for the tears not to fall, it wouldn't do anything good but worsen the situation.

My eyes trailed to my aching feet when his harsh voice rang in my ear again, "Look up at me, young lady."

I didn't want to see the fire in his eyes so I stared at his nose as it flared in fury, rage. I badly wanted to distract myself from what he was saying knowing nothing good comes out from his mouth especially when it comes to me.

"What is wrong with you? you need brain surgery or what?"

Shiver bolted through my spine when I had accidentally looked into his dark eyes. He got hold of my wrist, pulling me towards the door, and soon, I met myself at the backseat of the car right behind the driver's seat so I won't have to see his angry face.

My routine was to get home, go to my bed and look, look everywhere lookable. I don't have any toys or gadgets to play with and it's fine. I'm not a fan of toys but games. Even the name makes my lips spread into a big smile. Game was my happiness.

I laid on my bed, staring at the white ceiling above me sometimes, I wish it had eyes for it to watch me back so we'll both do staring contests.

*. *. *. *. *
"Bye, Dad, "I mumbled even knowing he wouldn't hear me and if he did, it still wouldn't change the fact that he does not enjoy talking or indulging himself when I'm concerned. As soon as I stepped a foot into my noisy class; I didn't hesitate to greet my class teacher, Miss Michelle then went over to the middle row of the class and buried my head in my elbow, listening to my mates chattering on how they spent their weekend.

"Royalty."

I snapped my head up in annoyance for getting disturbed but when my gaze held the culprit, a grin broke to my face, my heart melted at the sight of her. She was the only one, the source of my smile, and no one else, no one can steal her spot in my heart, most of the time, I wish she was my sister.

"Megan," I replied back. She didn't waste any second to drag me from my chair and pulled me into her embrace, I felt safe. I always feel safe when she is with me, I feel like there's no Grace to criticize and judge me about everything I do.

When she pulled away, she inquired, "Are you good now, Royalty? because I can see that smile on your face." She didn't let me reply to her comment before she continued further," Oh...was it because of the test? was it great?"

An unwelcoming frown took over the bright smile displaying on my face as I shook my head in denial. I don't want to lie to her because if I do, I would be breaking her trust and she was the only one I was comfortable with.

When she noticed, I hadn't said a word yet, she was able to catch my sudden swing of mood and rambles an apology. It was not that I was mad at her for bringing up the topic but at myself, daddy is right; I need brain surgery and whatever that means, I hope it works well for me because nothing works well with me. And I don't want to be the last in class anymore, I don't want to be the burden Grace sees me as anymore but there's nothing I can do to change it, all those words I've just said, I repeat that to myself every single day.

It is easier said than done,

The space beside me was occupied by Megan,"I'll assist you."