Chapter 3

Alfred Lord Tennyson-

"It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

I felt mild taps on my shoulder that got my attention. I silently groaned and lifted my head up at Megan, "What?" I asked.

Noticing she wasn't saying anything but I wanted to go back to sleep.

"It's break." she stated with a duh tone.

"Oh," I remarked, pretending to act oblivious that it was already break-time and went back to what I was doing a few seconds ago. I huffed when I felt more taps on my shoulder again and it didn't seem like it would end anytime soon.

"What?" I questioned again, already getting annoyed.

"You didn't bring lunch again?" The sadness in her eyes didn't go oblivious for me to catch as she poked out her lower lip. She placed her flask on my desk without any word coming from her mouth, I gaped at her, shaking my head. I didn't want to shorten her ration then another thought came across my mind; I've been hungry since and was using sleep to cover it hoping it would reduce a bit.

"I've eaten out of it and besides I still have some snacks left," she explains like she read through my mind.

"Okay, thank you so much." I was grateful to her for giving me her lunch, she really is a good girl but a talkative one. Right now, as I'm eating she had started talking again and God forgive me, I wasn't paying any attention and I hope she doesn't ask any related question because the food in front of me distract me a lot, moreover, I was so hungry because I didn't have breakfast and dad never cares, he doesn't even eat at home but I think at work.

Why do I deserve this from people close to me? What makes me so different from them? What makes Grace see me as a burden? I want to know so I will work on it.

"Royalty, please stop crying." tiny hands rub my face as I sniff during the process." I don't like seeing people cry." Her eyes moistened and soon, we were both a crying mess.

"Oh my God, Megan!" Miss Michelle screams, picking Megan up from the seat beside me as Megan continuously wipes her tears as Miss Michelle bored her dark gaze at me.

"What did you do this time?"

"She didn't do anything." Megan defended me.

"I'm so-s-sorry." I apologized. It was my fault, my fault I broke down in front of my best friend which is so bad of me, I shouldn't make people cry. I don't want anyone to cry because of me, some want nothing to do with me but Megan was different from others, others prefer and enjoy me crying but Megan is the opposite and the worst part is that she's emotional.

I began to feel empty again, I eyed the food in front of me. A smile formed on my face as I dug in without wasting any more second, it had a great, nourishing taste and aroma that had me drooling before I even had my first bite unlike the one I had yesterday, I won't want to criticize Aunty Ana but there's a big difference between her food and Megan's. I forced myself into eating hers yesterday and I'm gladly enjoying this.

without my best friend

*. *. *. *
"How will you stay here? I don't want my friend to catch a cold." Megan poked out her lower lip while holding my hand and pulling me to the blue Mercedes car that awaits her arrival.

"Mummy!" she left her hold, speeding to the red-headed lady that had her arms spread out. She peppered kisses all over Megan's face. I made my way to them and waved at her mom,"Good afternoon, aunty Mary."

She crushed me boneless with her hug while swaying side to side in a rhythmic motion.

"Sweetie, how're you?" her fingers squeezed my cheeks.

"I'm good aunty, how 'bout you?" I queried.

She makes me smile, actually she and Megan. Aunty Mary is a good and nice lady that's why I like her. I wish she was my mom so she would love me like how she does to Megan.

"Sweetie, I'm great." she pecked both my cheeks this time, "Aren't any of your parents here yet? because of the weather, rain could fall anytime soon."

Right on cue, the thunder struck. I gasped and stood still, I slowly folded my arms over my chest, scared while I felt my chins slowly rising and my gaze was leveled with Aunty Mary's.

"Aren't your parents around yet? there's no way you won't catch a cold"

I slowly shook my head, pondering many ways to come up with an excuse. "No, but I'll stay over there." my hand points to a certain spot across from us."I always stay there and wait for daddy." I sent her a small smile so she would fall for it because I don't want anymore arguments with dad, he doesn't want me to hang out with people he barely knew.

Her frown deepened, guilt washed over me that I made her frown."It's okay, it's safe." and moreover, I don't want to get into trouble, "Bye Meg and... thank you so much for the food." I gave each of them one last hug and received another from her mum.

Once they drove away, I was left alone as I sat on the bench that was hiding under the small roof. This is where I wait for daddy regardless of the weather or time.