Chapter 25

Dedicated to orlaithm05, I can't get enough of you

"A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman, he turns her back again." – Enid Bagnold

"Shoot."

"Why can't I see mommy?" Even if she  left me, I want to know how she is.

I inhaled deeply as those words rolled out of my tongue. My wet hands were clutching the hem of my shirt in anxiousness.

I regret not having a second thought about this because he doesn't talk or say anything about mommy and now I just dropped the bomb.

His fist hardened on the phone he was holding with a tight chin. He held my gaze for so long that it started to get scary as seconds passed into minutes. I had to tear my gaze away before it turned into something else.

Right that moment, my nose hit a fresh and sweet aroma. I can't wait for it to get to my mouth. I quickly dig in unwilling to wait any longer.

I'm not the one comfortable with silence but today was odd, the food was there to keep me company. But the fact that daddy didn't still move his eyes away from mine was creepy. And I can't look up so I won't get welcomed with rage in his eyes.

I even pretended my spoon fell to the ground and hid there for few minutes, when I almost suffocated under the table, I gave up and sat back on my seat with ragged breathing. I heard daddy chuckle, I groaned and covered my face understanding what it meant.

I thought everything was going smoothly.

"Daddy are you still mad at me? Because you haven't talked to Royalty since. Do I disgust you again?"

His chuckles halt from his throat. When I looked up, a visible frown etched on his face which turned into a scowl and just like that, he rose to his feet and took me by my hand, to his car, leaving our feet on the table.

He took me to his car, telling me not to hide behind his seat. I was cool with it since I'm getting used to it already.

"Don't ever say that, you hear me? You don't disgust me I just said that to make you feel what I also felt. Back to your very first question, I ain't mad at you."

"But you're mad at mommy?"

A vein popped on his forehead as I said that, he tightened his grip on the steering wheel as the car was moving.

"Yes." He replied, blankly. "Are there any more questions you want to ask?"

Okay, it's go time.

There were many. "Many."

"Well, I can't handle that so keep it to yourself."

"Miss Michelle said we shouldn't keep things ourselves." I said to him.

He forks his hand down his hair, messing it. "You can as well ask your teacher those questions not me, after all I wasn't the one that told you that."

"Oh, okay. And thanks for going out with me and for the food, it was really greeeaat. I thought you won't agree with m-"

"But I did." He cuts me off.

"Yeah, bravo dad." I stroked my palms together in amusement while daddy chortled.

"You left me no choice, mi niña." He sent me a wink which I caught through the rearview mirror and continued back at the road without the smirk leaving his lips.

"Daddy, can we be like this forever? Like we shouldn't argue anymore and go out more." I waited for him to nod but didn't. "Papa."

He cleared his throat, "Anything for you, mi niña."

"Yaaaay!" I chirp while clapping my hands.

Could I be any happier?
Daddy is going to spend lots and lots of time with me!

"You promise?"

"Firstly Royalty, you will not annoy me with your questions."

"Do I still annoy you?" My head was bowed as I gently played with my finger.

"A little." He whispers. That response made my lips curve downwards as my face squeezed. A sob escaped my mouth during that process. "And you're at it again."

"Sorry."

"You're adding to it. How does crying even help you? Feel better? You cry a lot. I thought you're a strong girl." His eyebrows were raised at me like he was challenging me but I refused to look up from my fingers so he continued, "or... You're not the strong girl I used to know anymore?"

I still am. I wanted to say but the tears took advantage of me with my quivering lips so I just stayed quiet. Except my sobs.

"Mi niña you don't have to cry." Silence "okay, I didn't mean it, I was just playing." When I still didn't look up, he slapped his forehead. "Royalty look at me now!"

I shot my head up with swiftness and my eyes were met with his cold gaze, the fury in his eyes vanished away once I set my eyes on them. His face softened when he came across how red and sore my eyes were.

I sniffed and looked away.

"Why the tears? I didn't mean what I said... You take things too seriously."

He beats me to it when a word was about to leave my mouth, "and don't say sorry."

"Okay."

"I-it was be-because you t-told me I still annoy you." I sobbed.

"You're a case, I was just using it to tease you." He said almost quickly. "Oh and I- mm-hm, promise to uh... Spend lots of time with you, you hear?"

My sobs immediately stopped, my face broke into a grin. "Really... Thank you, thank you, thank you again!"

"And one thing for you, mi niña." I smiled at the endearment. "You promise not to cry over little things and reduce your constant 'sorry'."

I peered at him with a nod but then, how hard it will be but I'll try if that's what he wants.

Anything for him too

"I'll try."

"No baby, when I promised, I didn't mention trying so you're definitely not going to be a crybaby."

I crossed my arms against my chest, "I'm not a crybaby."

"No attitudes, mi niña." He remarks in a playful yet stern tone.

"Sor- how do I apologize then?" I query to which he grinned,

"I'll know it from your eyes." He points his fingers at my eyes.

"What about-"

"Alright we're home."

I made a quick race with daddy to the doorstep, he handed me the keys which I gladly took from our hand and this time, I nearly opened it but dad assisted me.

Is he not the best dad ever?

*.      *
If you think Roman and Royalty is cute, raise your hand! 🙋🏿‍♀️

If you like this chapter, fan, vote and comment.