Chapter 4

I was observing the rain as its water poured heavily, wetting the ground more and more. The breeze was making me shiver as my lips quiver due to the cold weather and I was scared, the sight before me frightens me, it was weird for you to be the only one, sitting on a bench under a small roof while water drops heavily from the sky to the ground and thunder lightning every second. Everyone had left their various homes making me the only person on the street that used to be busy.

"Mmm-hmm" I perceived a very, very deep abrasive familiar voice through my ears. The voice that frightens me, that makes my whole system jiggle with fear. I drew in a breathe all of a sudden as he pulled me aggressively from the bench without even sparing me a glance or asking if I was okay like Aunty Mary says to Megan if anything had happened but instead, I find myself at the backseat of his black SUV as quick as flash, I continue to shift uncomfortable on the seat, as dad kept eyeing my water-stained uniform, while he's doing that, you'll think he actually cares but you are absolutely 0.000001 percent wrong.

"Good evening, daddy." I managed to croak out, feeling quite uneasy.

"Even your voice is enough to irritate me." I heard him grunt to himself as I hung my head low and hid my face behind my palms.

"I'm sorry."

"Shut up"

"Okay."

My head tilts to the window as an earthquake prepares to take place on my lips. In no seconds, I sensed hot liquid raining from my eyes. I was gasping for air with hiccups from time to time. This is going to be a very long day with dad. The ride home was just eerie silence, that I was now used to.

"Go upstairs and get yourself busy with your homework." My dad orders, I moved my head up and down, unable to utter a single word, and beat it to my room, almost tripping at my last step on the stairs. I heaved a sigh and rolled on my bed, already feeling bored. I don't know why it's hard to get used to being bored.

*

*

*

I peered at the notebook I was holding. I felt like ripping every page of it. My pencil lost hold of my grip and I tossed the book to the other side of my room. It was so infuriating. Why do teachers punish us with our homework, what if the person doesn't know it?

Well, I'm in that category. I know nothing at all...

Just by glancing at the books laying on the cold marble floor with cold eyes, I wish it was a living, it would have undergone death since. With sweats dripping from my fist, I turned my attention away from it back to my empty, sweaty palm. I tried to ignore the fact that my room was a complete mess, with books here and there. I wanted to make daddy proud, I want to be good as my mates at school, I want to show Grace I'm not the dullard she thinks I am.

The creaking of the door made me jump from my seat as my eyes drift to the direction of the noise." Shi- Royalty get up, I'm heading somewhere." said his abrasive, rough voice. I only nodded without sparing a glance at him for the reason to keep the resentment that would be present in his eyes, something I always see when he talks to me. Only me.

"Am I going to Grace?"

"I'm downstairs...tick-tock, 5 minutes." He slammed the door shut and his footsteps turned faint in a matter of seconds. I rushed down to the living room where dad was tapping his phone. His brown eyes met mine and shook his head, moving his eyes back to his phone. I dashed to him, aiming for the briefcase but he shoved it away.

"Shouldn't you wash your hands first? I don't even have time for that, I'm leaving." I followed suit behind him, feeling the bile rise up in my throat. I don't want to cry to Grace's house because she'll use it as an advantage. So I pursed my lips, which is the least I could do.