chapter twenty one

I step out of the shower and wrap the towel around my body sighing in relief from my relaxed muscles. I woke up a bit earlier to run before I had to get ready for my class today.

It's Wednesday, so I'm changing into my scrubs for clinical skills.

Once I'm finished with everything in the bathroom I quickly swallow my pill and walk out to gather my things from around the apartment that I'll need for the day.

Before leaving, I walk over to the gym where I hear faint grunts and hard punches on the other side of the door. When I woke up Mason was in the gym punching and it's been an hour and a half since then. I'm not even sure how long he was up punching before I woke up and I'm surprised he hasn't tired out yet.

He's been really on edge because his first round of testing is tomorrow and I feel horrible because I can't go with him. I have to meet him there because I have class. He agreed to let his mom pick him up so we wouldn't have to take two cars back which makes me feel even worse because he's frustrated with his mom too. When he called her a couple of days ago, she was overly ecstatic, which made him even more upset.

I open the door slowly until I'm completely in the room. My eyes trail to his back muscles that are coated in sweat and contracting from the constant movement. I bite my lip but quickly realize I'm getting distracted so I clear my throat which causes him to notice my presence and glance over at me.

"Hey baby" he pants heavily to catch his breath.

"Hey, are you doing okay?" I ask walking closer to him.

He nods his head taking off his gloves and throwing them to the floor. He flexes his hands, the white tape around his knuckles are wrapped tightly and doesn't break when he does the motion.

"I'm fine, just working some shit out" he mumbles looking back up at me.

I stand in front of him, brushing his damp hair off his forehead. "Okay. I just don't want you to overwork yourself, you've been going at it for a while" I respond in concern.

"I won't" Mason gives me a small smile placing one of his hands on my waist pulling me closer. "Are you leaving me?" he asks in a pout.

"Yes, I have to go to class" I chuckle. "I won't be back for a while though because I'm going to stop by my apartment and finally have this conversation with Anna"

"That's good, I know you miss her. Call me if you need anything okay?"

I nod my head and he ducks down putting his lips on mine. The kiss is needy at first, both of us wanting to savor the moment before we slow down and the sound of our lips parting fills the small space between us.

"By the way, you look hot in your doctor clothes" he whispers as his lips hover over mine. Both of us breathing heavily from just breaking the kiss.

I shake my head grinning as he pecks my lips two more times before I push him away making him laugh. I turn around and he smacks my ass.

"Go get 'em babe" he says no doubt a large smirk on his face.

I look over my shoulder and wink at him before walking out the door and exiting the apartment.  

*****

Yeah, that class took a lot of energy out of me today. A lot more than normal. Not only did we have to learn new things but we also practiced old stuff and I also had to find time to take notes while being instructed. Taking this class I quickly learned that it isn't all just having fun with learning hands-on, notetaking is still a big part of it.

I lean back against the seat in my car, taking a deep breath.

I'm so nervous about doing this, and what's sad is that the part that's making me nervous is that I'm craving a drink so badly to get me through it. A drink would calm me down and I'd be fine. My hands wouldn't be shaking and coated with sweat and my mind wouldn't be racing a million miles an hour. But I can't, not even a beer. I've been working on it with Mason, I've only been drinking beers, but it really hasn't been much of a struggle. I don't get nervous or anxious with him so I don't really have much of a reason to drink besides for pleasure.