chapter thirty four (Mason)

I got a total of two hours of sleep.

Every time I shut my eyes I just kept thinking about what Vanessa told me, how she said it so casually. I know she was drunk, but it really fucked me up.

She stirs next to me, her eyes finally fluttering open and a look of confusion crosses her face. Her eyebrows scrunch and she glances around the room probably trying to figure out where she is.

Eventually she shuts her eyes again and reaches her hand out feeling around the bed, I'm not entirely sure what she's looking for or if she even knows I'm laying right next to her since her eyes have yet to meet mine.

Her hand lands on my face and her eyebrows scrunch again. She shoots her eyes open and when she sees me she screams and jerks her hand away, flinching back so harshly that she tumbles off the bed with a loud thud.

"Relax, it's just me" I chuckle hearing her groan on the floor. I prop my head up on my elbow so that I can see her body laid out on the carpet, her hair going in every possible direction.

She huffs loudly brushing the hair out of her face. "I thought I was in my room" she mumbles.

After a few seconds she crawls back into bed and under the covers snuggling into my side. "How did I get here?"

"Luke brought you" I reply trailing my fingers up and down her back. "He said you insisted on coming here to take care of me"

She chuckles and I pull her closer to my body wanting to feel her warmth. "How was the party?" I ask glancing down at her.

Vanessa groans burying her face in my neck. "I don't remember much but I'm pretty sure at one point I was dancing on the countertop"

My lip tugs up thinking about her doing it but then I frown thinking how other people watched her do it. My grip tightens around her waist and I'm sure she notices because she kisses my chest to calm me down.

"Why am I tasting potato chips?" she asks curiously.

"You fell asleep eating a bag of them" I reply, a smile tugging on my lips.

She laughs lightly causing my heart to flutter at the sound of it. I feel Vanessa shift under me and she lifts up the blanket. I glance down watching her look at the incision on the side of my stomach.

"How is it?" she asks looking up at me with concern.

I stare into her icy blue eyes getting lost in them momentarily. She bites her lip while waiting for my answer which makes me bring my gaze down to them.

"It's fine" I reply. "Just irritating"

She nods her head looking back down at the stitched incision. She leans down and kisses it so lightly that I can barely feel it, but when she continues to trail the kisses up my body I close my eyes as my muscles tense under her lips.

"Shouldn't you have a hangover right now?" I question releasing a deep breath when her lips get to my chest.

"I don't get them" she whispers against my skin.

I know for a fact that's a lie.

She works her way up to my neck lightly sucking on the skin. As soon as her hand touches my body my eyes fly open, her words from last night floating through my head. My entire body tenses and she stops suddenly, raising her head from my neck.

"What's wrong?" she asks furrowing her eyebrows.

"Nothing" I hide my grimace by pecking her on the lips too fast for her to actually kiss me back which just makes her even more confused. "I'm just hungry"