chapter twenty four

With my first week back in my apartment with Anna and Caroline, things finally start feeling like they're back to normal. I'm practicing with the track team again and finally getting my routine back. The normality is nice, and although I loved staying with Mason, I really did miss being here with my friends.

I've been feeling pretty good all week. No panic attacks and I haven't been feeling all that stressed. Classes have been great too. I've gotten back into the routine of going to class, running, studying, hanging out with my friends, and newly added, seeing Mason.

After having that conversation with Mason, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest. I feel a new sense of clarity and I'm not sure it's something I've ever felt before. It's like I'm floating and I just feel...happy. I feel really happy.

I would say the only thing that has been creeping through me with nerves is the dinner with my family tomorrow. There are so many things that can go wrong and the more I think about it, the more worried I get. It's been in the back of my mind all week, but the closer the day gets, the more my nerves seem to multiply.

I turn up the speed of the treadmill by five, the music in my ears drowning out all other noise in the gym. I concentrate on the large windows in front of me that give an amazing view of the campus. We do have an indoor track but sometimes I come here just for the view because it's nice to look at when I'm running.

My view of the window gets compromised by a certain someone who walks in front of the treadmill with a devious smirk on his face. He grabs the machine leaning forward as his grey eyes scan my moving body up and down.

I huff out a deep breath rolling my eyes in the process as I press the red stop button.

"What are you doing here?" I ask tilting my head as the treadmill slows to a stop.

"You know there's a treadmill at my place you can use" he says raising an eyebrow.

"I know that but I love this view" I reply motioning to the windows behind him. "Although," I whisper leaning forward so that our faces are only inches from each other. "I love his view even more"

Mason groans as if my words went through his ear and straight to his dick. Which was kind of the point. He hurriedly closes the distance pressing his lips against mine, the heat behind the kiss nearly making my legs give out.

I pull back before we get too carried away and step off the treadmill. Mason walks around and wraps his arm around my waist as we walk through the gym and down the stairs. I slip on my jacket before he opens the door and we both walk outside into the chilly November air.

I wrap my arms around his waist hugging him close to me as he leans down kissing me on the side of my head.

"So I know we're having dinner with your family tomorrow but maybe I could take you out tonight? You've seemed a little tense" Mason says looking down at me.

I smile looking up into those grey eyes that always capture my attention. Pulling my bottom lip into my mouth I nod my head. "I would love th-"

"Ness"

Time around me seems to stop at the sound of the nickname only two people have ever used for me. My body goes rigid, the blood in my veins freezing over as they are coated in the ice that flowed straight from his voice and into my soul.

I turn my face to look ahead of me and my arms go limp around Masons waist falling to my sides. My heart stops but seems to palpitate at an irrationally fast pace all at the same time. The hotness I feel contradicting in this cold weather as a light coat of sweat forms over my entire body. I can feel my hands clamming up at the person who stands ten feet away from me.