Chapter Seven

Eddie heard his small clock ticking from outside the bathroom, buttoning up his red pajama shirt. After the last button, he sighed and looked at himself in the mirror, frowning. "Dumb freckles, stupid hair, ugly eyes, ew..." he grabs his burlap mask, pulling it over his head. "That's better...! Haha~! I look like a professional grave keeper now!"

Eddie giggles, spinning around happily. His mind then focused on (Y/n), remembering what he had told her earlier today; he would stay with her while she sleeps, so that she isn't afraid.

He clasps his hands together, letting out an adoring sigh. "Ahh, I'm so happy she's beginning to trust me again...maybe I should apologize for being so rough with her..." Eddie lifted an eyebrow, thinking hard on the matter. "No, it's better for her just to forget about it. I'll apologize later when I get the chance...after all, a gentleman always takes very good care of a lady."

After his moment of triumph, he unlocked the bathroom door and skipped out into his bedroom, where (Y/n) sat alone on his bed. As much as he hated to admit it, Eddie really didn't like sharing. Telling people this made him feel selfish, but truly, he hated it. But with (Y/n)...

All of those feelings seemed to just fade away.

"(Y/n)," Eddie softly called out for her to alert that he was now present. "are you ready to get some sleep?"

(Y/n) lowered her head, her silky (h/c) hair blocked Eddie's sight of her worried expression. "Yeah..."

Eddie smiled a little, sitting down next to her. "I can tell you're uneasy."

(Y/n) turned to him, looking sad with a weak smile on her face. "No, I'm okay..."

"Nope!" Eddie grew close to her face. "That's not what those pretty eyes of yours are telling me!"

"A-Ah...!" (Y/n) grew flustered, backing away from the masked boy.

Eddie giggled sweetly, calming her. "Y'know, I'll definitely be here to protect you from all of the bad, scary, monsters! No one will hurt you!" (Y/n) watched as Eddie threw his hands into fists and punched the air. He honestly looked fit for his age, even if he was pretending to throw hands. "Like that! Just like that! Hiiiyaaaa!"

"Haha, you're very cute, Eddie." (Y/n) chuckled, resting her fingertips on her lips. Eddie's face went completely red underneath his mask. "You must be very brave to fight monsters."

"Yep!" Eddie triumphs, putting his hands on his hips and lifting his nose into the air. "I'm super brave! Nothing ever scares me!"

"Well...that makes sense...you are a grave keeper after all. They can't be easily scared while viewing the dead, right? Or seeing ghosts! That's so cool."

"C-Cool...? You think so...?" Eddie's eyes glitter with happiness as he gazed at the girl, only for her to nod. "Haha...! Yeah! Aren't I just the coolest?!"

As Eddie blabbered on about being a brave grave-keeper, (Y/n) began to realize how child-like he actually was. He loved praise and talking about the things he enjoys, while having no care in the world. (Y/n) envied how carefree he could be without any doubt about the future. If only she could be that optimistic.

"What about you, (Y/n)? What do you enjoy to do?" Eddie chirped, catching (Y/n) off guard.

"A-Ah..." she muttered. "I guess...I enjoy reading...and...uhm..."

"Don't be so nervous!" the sweet grave keeper bubbled, trying to give (Y/n) some confidence. "A beautiful girl like you must be very busy, right? You must have hundreds of boys who wanna be your boyfriend!"

"You're very sweet..." (Y/n) felt dumb for not being able to think of a better answer, but she was way too flustered to think of one.

Her rosy cheeks were enough to make Eddie happy. "Not as sweet as you, my dove! Oh, but I shouldn't be distracting you! Get some rest." (Y/n) was going to try and continue the conversation so that she wouldn't have to go to sleep, but Eddie was too clever for that nonsense.