Chapter 34 - kaikamahine

Nick's POV
"Kai, sweetie hurry up please! You'll be late!" I call out from the bottom of the staircase. "Coming daddy!" She replies. Lauren and I hustle about the kitchen, getting breakfast ready. "Daddy, I can't get this on!" Kai walks in with a frown much like her mother's, pulling at her jacket. "Easy does it pumpkin." I chuckle, bending down to help her. I help her slip her jacket on, slinging her little backpack over her shoulders. "There." I finish. I pick her up and she rests her head on my shoulder. "What do you want for breakfast sweetie?" Lauren asks her. "I want waffles mummy." She chooses. Lauren places her plate with waffles and a cup of orange juice at her seat. I got to put her down but she grips me tightly. "Noo, I wanna sit with daddy." She refuses. "Okay, alright." I agree. She snuggles on my lap while I feed her forkfuls of waffle. "I'll put the bags in the car." Lauren senses the atmosphere when I flash her a look. Once Kai's plate's clean, I sit her facing me with a comforting smile. "Sweetie, has something upset you?" I ask gently once Lauren's gone to put the bags in the car. "...I had a really bad dream daddy." She confesses, tears welling up in her eyes. "Awww sweetie it's okay. It was just a dream. Nothing in your dreams can hurt you." I sooth, pulling her into my arms. She grips me tightly, little sobs shaking her body. "Do you wanna tell daddy about it?" I ask. "...there was a scary monster. A really big scary monster and he took you and mummy, everyone. And he tried to take me." She quivers. "Honey it was just a bad dream. That's all. Your mummy and I are right here. And so are the rest of your family." I sooth. I stroke her gently, whispering comforts to her till her tears come to a stop. "Daddy I don't wanna go today. I wanna stay with you and mummy." She pleads. "...okay, alright sweetheart. You don't have to go to daycare today." I let up. "You two ready?" Lauren asks. "Yup. Kai's not really feeling up to it today so she can just chill in our office." I state. "Okay, no problem." Lauren nods. "Sweetie do you wanna bring some toys and crayons so you don't get bored?" She suggests. "Okay." Kai nods. She runs up to her room, stuffing a few toys and her box of crayons in her bag. She runs back to me, wrapping herself around my legs, looking up at me expectantly. I pick her up once more and she wraps her arms around my neck, laying her head on my shoulder. "Let's go little monkey." I murmur. I sit in the back with her latched onto me while Lauren drives. Even when we arrive, she refuses to part with me. "Hay, what's the little miss doing here?" Danny greets. "Didn't really feel up to going to daycare today. Thought it was best she just hang around here." I answer. "Honey, why don't you go get your toys out and play for a little while. Daddy will come in just a sec." I try to coax her down. "Noooo, I wanna stay with you." She refuses. "...okay monkey, ears and eyes then." I request. She buries her head against my chest and squished her palms against her ears. "What have we got?" I ask. "Nick are you sure she should be here?" Steve worries. "She had a nightmare. It's got her really spooked. I don't think she's separating from me today." I sigh. "I don't want her here believe me. But she's really scared. She just needs me right now." I state. "...okay." Steve finally lets up. "We've got a child abduction. 5 year old Mathew Alonso. Parents Adam and Kylie Alonso. The family are not Oahu natives. Philadelphia natives, moved here when Mathew was 2. Mother and child went shopping. Mrs Alonso left Mathew in car for less than 6 minutes according to her but when she returned, he was gone and her car had been broken into. She reported Mathew missing. HPD was first on the scene, secured the crime scene and the evidence sent to the lab. Her car was also impounded as evidence. This was less than 12 hours ago. As we all know, in abductions, especially child abductions, the first 48 hours are crucial. We have 36 hours to bring Mathew Alonso home safe. HPD has put a rush on all the evidence." Steve explains. Upon hearing this, I grip Kai just that little tighter, and Lauren wraps her arms around us. Jerry puts Mathew's picture up on the big screen. He looked so vulnerable. I instinctively stroked Kai's hair and Lauren placed her hand on her back protectively. "Danny, Chin and I will meet with HPD. The family are on their way here. Nick and Lauren, I'd like you to talk to them. I know HPD already got their statements but I want you to dig deeper. Anything would be useful at this point. Kono and Lou, I want you two to go to the lab and chase up some results. See if they have anything yet. Jerry, the Alonso's electronics are been brought here as we speak. Go through them. Check for suspicious activities, people, anything out of place." Steve delegates. "Let's bring this kid home." He states before we all disperse. "All good honey." I tap Kai's shoulder to get her attention. She drops her hands and lifts her head. Lauren and I wait in our office for the parents to arrive. Kai sits in my lap, playing with her dolls. Barely an hour later, she pushes her dolls away, cuddling against me. "I think it's nap time sweetie." I chuckle. "No, I'm not sleepy daddy." She declines, fighting a yawn. "Baby, I know that nightmare scared you. But I promise you, nothing in your nightmares can hurt you. None of those stuff are real. Your mummy and I will always keep you safe." I assure her. I move to the recliner, cradling her like the way I did when she was a baby. I stroke her hair, letting her play with my fingers.