Chapter 4 - Bang crash slash crash

Lauren's POV
I can't believe it's Sammy's first day at school!!! I'm excited...and nervous...and a whole lot of things for him!!! Nick's words break my thoughts. "Lauren!!! Earth to Lauren!!! You've been standing there with that coffee in your hands for 15 minutes. Care to divulge what's on your mind?" "It's just...Sammy first day at school...I don't know...I feel excited and nervous and a whole lot of things FOR him and..." I ramble. "WO!!! Slow down!!! Hay, it's going to be FINE. He's going to have wonderful first day in school. Our little boy is growing up. You don't need to be worried or nervous. Excited? So am I. But nervous or worried, you don't need to be. Okay?" he sooths as he holds my hand. "Okay, well I've got to drop him off and head to the lab. I've got to finish this case I know it's a Monday night and we're bound to get A LOT of call out tonight. Alright? I've got to go but I'll see you at work tonight. Love you." I give him a peck before going to wake Sammy up. "Mummy!!! Where's my red t-shirt??!?!!? I put it on my bed the other day?!?!?!!?!?" he shouts from his bedroom. "It's in your top drawer honey." I reply, making my way to his room. "Samuel Gregory Stokes if you think I'm going to let you bring Eli around this afternoon after school, you ARE severely mistaken. You're going to clean this mess up as SOON as you get back, deal? You promised you'd keep it clean. Sammy, I can't keep doing this, I'm going back to the Grave shift tonight and your father and I can't keep doing this. You promised mummy, okay? You're a big boy now." I lecture him. "Yes mummy. I know. I'm sorry. I promise I'll do it as soon as I get home." he replies. "Mummy?" He stops me when I go to leave. "Mummy...I'm nervous." He mutters, fidgeting with his fingers. "You're gonna be fine honey. You're gonna have lots of fun and make lots of friends." I sooth. "Come on, get ready, you need your breakfast." I ruffle his hair affectionately. He hugs me before going off to change. "Morning daddy." He gives Nick a hug who's at the table sipping coffee. "Morning buddy. Breakfast up big boy." He greets her with a chuckle. Once we reach his school I turn to him before saying, "Bye honey, don't forget what I told you this morning. Okay? Go have fun. I love you." I kiss his forehead. "I love you too mummy." He replies before getting out. I nod before waving and driving off. I stop to get a tea on the way.This round of pregnancy has definitely been easier. I mean, Sammy can hardly wait for his little sister to arrive. I have now gone back to the Grave shift but I have transferred to the lab for now until I've gotten used to the hours and until the baby's born. She's due any day now, with all the pain and hugeness of my last pregnancy...but I don't regret a thing. I love my family...I reach the lab in record time and walk to the locker room to put my stuff in and walk back out to the lab.

Time skip//

I stretch my arms, getting up from the chair, picking up the completed case file and walk out. I it drop off on the swing shift supervisor's desk with my transfer form from swing shift to Grave shift before walking out. I need a couple of hours rest before coming in again for Grave shift. I clean my locker out before walking back to my car. I'm about to unlock the car when I feel a searing pain in my abdomen and I sink to the ground, groaning. I know this pain. I fumble for my phone, to call for paramedics and once I've called I clutch my belly in pain, waiting for the ambulance. They arrive rather quickly getting me to the hospital. I give them Nick's phone number for them to call him and ask them to pass on an urgent message for Nick to pick Sammy up and they rush me to the ER as my screams of pain echo through the hospital...

Time skip//

Nick's POV
I get a call from Sammy's school saying that Lauren hasn't picked him up yet as she promised, fearing the worst, I call her cell but it goes straight to voicemail. I panic, not knowing what to do when my phone rings. "Mr Stokes?" the stranger asks. "Yes, who is this?" I reply. "We're from Desert Springs Hospital. We called to inform you that your wife has gone into labour and she has given birth to a healthy little girl." I freeze in shock. This must've happened on her way. "Than...thank you!!! I'm on my way!!" I stutter, slowly regaining my composure and running to my car to pick up Sammy and go to the hospital. I screech as I reach Sammy's school with him outside, waiting anxiously. "Dad? What's wrong? Is mummy okay?" he asks worriedly. "I don't know bud...I don't know..." I shake my head in dismay as we speed away in the car. Once we reach the hospital, we run in to the reception, asking for Lauren. "She's already given birth, and in room 123 Sir. Are you of relation?" she inquires. "Husband and son. Thank you." I reply. We run to her room to see her.