Chapter 12 - Kaikamahine maikaʻi (sweet girl)

Further two months skip//

Lauren's POV
"Nicky!!" I yell from the shower. "Get the phone babe!! It's probably Steve with a case!" I call out. "Got it!!" He replies. I wrap a huge towel around me and my 9 months pregnant stomach as I get out of the shower. "Was it Steve?" I ask as he walks in. "Yeah, case up in Waikiki." He replies. The baby is due in a week or so but I'm not one to stay in hospital till it happens. "How's the little princess?" Nick smirks as he bends down, facing my huge stomach. "She's ready and raring to go, has been since 3 in the morning." I giggle. "Did you keep mummy up at night?" He gasps. "She just wants to remind us that she's there." He giggles. "I'm sure." I chuckle. "Are we meeting up at Waikiki or the palace?" I ask as I slip into my flats and checking myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a denim overall ma sent me with a baby blue shirt underneath. "Well I'm taking you to the palace, Jerry and Chin are already there. Then I'm meeting up with the rest of them at Waikiki." He explains. "I'm driving." I state, not giving him a chance to object. "And we're getting coffee at Kamekona's. I want to say hi, we haven't had a chance to see him since we got here." I decide. "I wander if he still remembers me." I think aloud.

The drive to Kamekona's food truck takes barely 10 minutes and we skid to a halt at the beach his truck is. "Flippa?" I gasp as I see a familiar face. "Lauren?!" He exclaims. "No way! What's up!" He chuckles excitedly as we fist bump. "What are you doing down here?" He asks. "I work here, Steve recruited me and my husband Nick a few months ago. Wanted to drop by here this morning and say hi to you guys." I explain. "Aloha, I'm Nick." Nick introduces himself. "Aloha bruh." Flippa greets in his usual friendly manner. "Wow..." Flippa mutters. "I know, me married surprises a lot of people." I chuckle. "You got a little keiki on the way I see." He comments. "My fourth." I reveal. "Where are the rest?" He asks. "All grown up and flew the nest." I sigh. "It was good catching up and meeting you Nick." He states. "I gotta run cuz Kama sent me on a delivery but we should catch up." He suggests. "We should, I'll let you know when." I nod before he leaves. "That's Flippa, Kamekona's cousin." I explain to Nick. "He seems friendly." He comments. "Hi, I'd like a capaccino and a decaf for my hubby here." I ask Kamekona. "S..." He stops mid sentence, turning around. "Lauren?!" He gasps with surprise. "In the flesh." I chuckle. "Lauren?!" He repeats, as if in a dream. "That's my name, don't wear it out." I giggle at his reaction. "Welcome home sista!!" He exclaims as we hug. "Thanks Kama." I chuckle. "This is my husband Nick." I introduce Nick. "Aloha bruh." Kama greets him with a fist bump. "Nahele, get those coffees pronto." He turns to the young boy still in the food truck. "On it boss." He nods. "How have you been Kama? Still getting into trouble?" I ask. "Nah, I turned a new leaf. I'm an informant for five-0." He whispers the last part. "Married huh?" He chuckles. "Yup, over 10 years." I smile. "About time." Kama sniggers. "And I see you got a little keiki on the way too." He places a gentle hand on my stomach. "My fourth." I nod. "Where are the rest?" He asks. "All grown up." I sigh. "This is my son, Sammy. He lives in D.C, works at the FBI. This is Gracie my youngest daughter, about to be second youngest. She is staying in Vegas with my brother and parents. Soon to be in senior year. And this is my oldest, Stacey. She's in LA right now." I show pictures of all. "You remember Stacey, right? I brought her here when she was a few months old." I prompt. "Yeah, cute little keiki." He nods. "Didn't you give her away?" He asks. "Long story short, she came back." I reveal. "It was nice seeing you again Kama, I gotta run or else Steve will send a search party after me." I smirk. "Here are your coffees." The young boy hands Nick and I our coffees before disappearing inside the food truck. "Who's he?" I point to the young boy. "Nahele. He was caught trying to steal McGarrett's car but he's basically a good kid so I gave him a job here after McGarrett asked." He explains. "Alright, we gotta run but I'll talk to you soon." I wave before we leave. "Stokes." I answer my phone when it rings as we drive to the palace. "Where are you? I was just about to send a search party after you and Nick." Steve worries. "Relax cuz, I just dropped by Kama'a food truck for breakfast, we're on our way." I snigger. "Well don't take too long or I will actually send that search party after you guys." He retorts. "We're on our way." I chuckle before we hang up. "Steve?" Nick raises an eyebrow. "Hmmm." I nod.