fight or flight

"Being brave isn't the absence of fear. Being brave is having that fear but finding a way through it"- Bear Grylls

Song: Canyon Moon – Harry Styles
————————————————————————
"Boarding flight 105 to Sicily"

Oh fuck...

I am not afraid of a lot of things, I usually beat up guys twice my size on the weekends. But even though I am the best female boxer in the U.S, a thing so simple as flying on a plane scares the shit out of me. I am on my way to the most important championship of my career, but of course it had to be on the other side of the fucking planet.

I get up to walk to the gate, my hands are shaking like crazy. Shit, I hate being scared, I've been taught that being vulnerable makes you weak, especially in the ring where showing weakness could be fatal, and I've implimented that into my daily life as well. I turn my hands into fists to stop them from shaking, I tell myself I am gonna get through this: I am going to Sicily, and I am returning with the fucking world champion title and throphy.

————————————————————————

I walk out of the plane and feel the warm wind hit my face, the flight went better than expected. Maybe 'cause I almost overdosed on calming pills so I don't remember much of the trip, but still. I look down at my phone and expect to see a text from Scott, but wierdly enough there wasn't one.. Thats wierd? He knows how scared I am of flying so I expected him to check up on me atleast once while I was on a 9 and a half hour flight.

Scott has always been there for me ever since my mom left. Since then it has really only been my dad, him, my best friend Maddy and me. They are the only thing I care about, in addition to boxing, because they are the only ones I have left. As a seventeen-year-old female boxer, it is important that there are people that have your back at all times, as no one really belives in the «small girls that don't know what they're doing».

On the bright side I see a text from my dad asking if the flight went alright. It's tough not having him here with me. He has been to every boxing match I've ever had, but this time he had to work. He owns his own company, I'm not sure what he works with, but I know its something important. It must be if he can't come with me to the most important boxing match in my life. I answer that it went well, and then answer the text from Maddy asking the same thing.

I walk to pick up my luggage and then head outside. I don't really know where to go but I recognize one of the male contestants from my last comp so I just follow him. I see him being greeted by a driver and getting into a beautiful Mercedes G-wagon. Man, I love that car.

There were several identical cars behind that one so I went towards the next in line knowing that the organizers had fixed transportation for all the participants. I greet the driver and am about to open the cardoor when I hear someone yell «Ambers this way!» I turn at the sound of my last name and see a short man in his 60s, with grey hair and a round face reminding me off a grandpa, waving at me next to a rusty Fiat Multipa.

Wtf, that can't be my car? My driver?' But the realization slowly hits me as I am walking towards the car and hear him say «Good day, Tesoro, how was the flight?'' I force a smile even though I'm boiling with rage. But what was I really expecting, of course the girl had to get the ugly ass car.

A Fiat Multipa? Really? I bit my tongue to stop myself from cursing out everyone in a 10 feet distance. «It was alright, thanks for asking» I answer him as nicely as i could.

Atleast the driver was nice and welcoming. He talked to me throughout the whole drive telling me about the tournament and making small talk. He seemed a bit embarrased about the car and told me that he didn't know why they had sent such a car to pick me up. He was so nice I couldn't be angry with him and I found myself laughing and smiling, almost forgetting the bitterness I felt over being discriminated against, again. All in all Italian people seemed a lot nicer than the people you meet in New York.

I didn't know then, that he was more like the exception rather than the rule.

*Authors note*
Thank you all so much for reading our book! As long as there is atleast one person reading and enjoying the book we will continue writing🖤
The two first chapters are more of a introduction to get to know Evelyn and about boxing but the real stuff starts in chapter 3!! Have fun reading🖤 And if anyone has questions, just feel free to ask🖤 We love you all!😈