devil or savior?

«Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer»
Song: Heaven-Julia Michaels
————————————————————————
Evelyns POV:

We rushed trough the city at an insanely fast speed. I didn't know where he was taking me, but I didn't really care as long as it was far away from the ball. Someone had tried to kill me. It was not a coincidence that there had only been fired one bullet, straight at me. Who wanted to kill me? I literally had no enemies, I had no friends, I had no one, I was no one. The only thing valuable about me was the throphy I had won at the championship last year. Omg could it be the guy I fought last year!? He had pulled a gun on me last year, so why not do it again?  I was thrown back into reality when my mysterious savior, but at the same time the man I hated most in this world (and trust me, I hate a lot of them) suddenly swinged into an empty parking lot and stopped. Oh no. What was he doing?  I suddenly felt a strong feeling of despair. How could I be this stupid! Thinking that hopping on a motorcycle with my fathers' killer was a good idea. I had been so shocked when he first said "Let me drive you" considering the fact that he had just called me a spoiled brat. But I hadn't really had much of a choice, and for some reason those stupid golden eyes had made me trust him. Believe him, when he said he would drive me somewhere safe. I only had myself to blame when he murdered me in a couple of minutes, right here, on an empty parking lot somewhere outside the city of Sicily. But he didn't seem to have any plans of murdering me, yet. He hopped off of the bike and looked at me with an examinating look. Was he thinking about what to do with me? Please don't let him be some psycho Italian cannibal.

"Why do you have a dagger" he asked calmly. What? Why did that matter? Fuck he knew. He knew about my mission. Think fast, think fast, think fast. "Self-defence" I answered. It sounded more like a question than an answer. He looked at the dagger and raised one eyebrow but to my relief he didn't ask more about it, I didn't think I could have come up with a good enough lie and I especially didn't think "Because I was going to kill you for revenge because you killed my father last year" was the smartest thing to say at that moment.

"Do you know who tried to kill you?" he said. So, my assumptions were right. They had tried to kill me specifically. "No" I answered truthfully. He had a wondering look on his face, like he was trying to solve something in his mind. I didn't dare to ask what he was thinking about. Why was he asking me all these questions? Couldn't he just kill me and be done with it. I had completely given up the mission at that point. He had at least one gun, that I knew off, and he was about 8 inches taller than me. Not to mention his muscles were three times bigger than mine. Don't get me wrong, I was strong, and really fucking good at fighting. But I just had no chance against this guy. It didn't matter how much I despised him for what he did to my father, there was just no way I could fight him and stay alive. And also if I killed him, how the fuck would I get out of here. The mafia had taught me how to ride a motorsyckle, so that wouldn't be a problem, but I had absolutely no idea where I was.

He took a step towards me and I flinched, thinking he would attack me. A flash of confusion flew over his eyes, but it was gone just as sudden as it had appeared. "Where do you live? I can drive you to your hotel" he said, so quiet it was almost a whisper. He wasn't looking at me. His eyes were focused on a point over my head. "Eh it's a hotel in the city called Grand Palladium, it's next to—" I started. "Yeah I know where it is, I own it." he cut me off. Wait what? Did he just say he owned it?!  He hopped back onto the motorcycle and manoeuvred for me to do the same. I hesitated, but again what choices did I have?

Maxences POV:

As we rushed back to the city I thought about what she had told me. "Self-defence" Bullshit. I didn't believe her; she knew something I didn't, and I was burning to find out what it was. But she looked so scared and flustered and I didn't want to upset her more. Not that I ever cared about people's feelings, but I just didn't feel like it I guess. So I let the lie pass. I needed to find out what was happening in my city, everyone knew that this was my territory. I had to get together the mafia right after I let her off at the hotel.

It didn't take more than 10 minutes to drive to the hotel. Maybe because I was driving way over the speed limit. The reasoning behind that was both that I was rushing to get to the headquarters but I couldn't deny that another small reason was the way she held on so tight to me and I thought she would maybe loosen the grip if I slowed down. But it didn't really matter how fast I drove because I wouldn't get a speeding ticket anyway. One of the many benefits of being the most feared person in Italy that controlled the most feared mafia. No-one fucked with me.

I stopped outside the hotel and she hopped off the bike. I didn't really know what to say so I just looked at her beautiful blue eyes. I had so many questions, yet I didn't seem to get myself to ask her any of them. I hated the look of fear that marked her eyes. I watched as she bit her lip and looked up at me. Fuck, the things she could do to me with just one look. I enjoyed watching her, really taking in her features, this would probably be the last time I saw her. The chances of me bumping into her at the ball were already so slim, and the chances of me meeting her again after this were close to non-existent. "Thank you" she said and threw me back into reality. What did she just say?! I smirked, suddenly back to my old cocky self. "Wow, I didn't know you had it in you, Evelyn" I said. She looked at me shocked. "How do you know my na—" but she didn't get to finish her sentence because I had already driven off.

——————————————————————
Authors note :

So, what do you think about the book so far?

Thank you so much for 20k reads!

Check out our instagram for chapter updates and more!! Username: dancingwiththedevilwattpad

And our tiktok: wattpadobsession.com

We appreciate all your support and read all your comments

We really try to post as often as possible but we also want the chapters to be best quality and we are in a period at school with A LOT of work and exams. So please be patient with us:)

As always, we love you! Hope you like the book.