hard to understand

«I've learned to never judge a book by its cover. Because you were nothing like I expected you to be» - Unknown
Song: Into It - Chase Atlantic
——————————————————————
Evelyns POV:

To be honest it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, however, Maxence still annoyed the fuck out of me but I had just learned to accept that about him. The group talked and we got to know each other better, I learned that Blaze liked to play basketball just like Sienna. And Zane liked cars and art, just like Lula. So I could now easily see why they had found each other. The guys were pretty open about their life, but I knew something they didn't share with my girls, and I was glad they didn't, I didn't want them to know about the mafia. I was afraid that could cause them to get involved and possibly be in danger.

I remember Zane and Blaze being the two guys at the boxing match and the ball with Maxence. Putting two and two together I understood that they are a part of Maxences mafia. They were young just like Maxence, so I wondered how they got involved as well as how Maxence got to be a mafia leader at such a young age. How he is so feared, and why he killed my father. I had so many unanswered questions. Therefore I needed to get close to him, as well as the guys. The more people I befriended that were close to Maxence, the more information I would get.

After a couple of minutes of talking our drinks arrived. I hadn't ordered anything since I was in the bathroom but when the waiter put a glass in front of me, I remembered that the boys said Maxence had ordered for me. I looked at the drink and couldn't hide my smile. It was a dry martini. The drink I had at the ball. He remembered.

I looked over at Maxence, who was sitting right across the table from me. He was already looking at me with a smile on his face, it wasn't the usual smirk, just a smile. A really fucking cute smile.

I looked around to see if anyone had noticed our little exchange of smiles or saw my reaction to the drink, but everyone was too obsessed with their own date to seem to notice anything around them.
——————————————————————
Maxences POV:

After 2 hours or so of drinks, dinner, dessert, conversations about anything you could possibly imagine, and a lot of glances between me and Evelyn. I felt a feeling I hadn't felt in a long long time; happiness? It was the first time since my mom and dad died that I caught myself smiling, without having to fake it. I was looking around and my heart felt like it was defrosting when I saw how happy Blaze and Zane looked with the girls. And then there was Evelyn.

Our moment in the bathroom was something completely new. We didn't fight nor kiss, we didn't tease or mock, we were just honest and real. What the fuck was that? And the worst part was that I liked it. A lot. It felt nice to not be cold and not having to look scary, I could almost just be myself.

I felt the walls I had used so many years on building shake a little every time I looked into those icy blue eyes. And that scared the shit out of me, fuck even she scared me sometimes. Yes, I hated the girl more than anything, but she made me feel something no one else had managed to. And without even trying.

I was really enjoying myself and the dinner. More than I could've ever imagined, and I was glad I went, even though my friends literally having to bribe me by promising to buy me food.

In fact, in the bathroom, Evelyn had mentioned something about her being bribed with food as well. It was a little absurd how much we had in common... The boxing, the workouts, the books, taste in food, taste in drinks (she had gotten the dry martini at the ball.. my favorite) What was next? I caught myself dying to find out...

Blaze snapped me out of my gaze as he whispered «I think me and Sienna will go back to my apartment» he had a huge grin on his face «I know you didn't really want to go on this date but is it okay if I leave? You guys seem to get along well! And yes you will get your food» he continued. «Eyo boys! Me and Lula are leaving, okay?» Zane joined the whispering conversation from across the table.