Can It Get Worse?

Coal's PoV:

It had been a couple of hours now... and all that had happened was me becoming increasingly worried with every passing second. Lapis had tried talking to me, but I'd rather rudely snapped at him. I don't mean any offence... but I simply didn't want anyone near me right now.

"Maybe go somewhere else for a while, take your mind off it" the younger crewmate had offered.

"No" I'd insisted, "I'm staying right here outside medbay and not moving"

"Just... nobody goes in there and comes out alive" Lapis sighs before disappearing down the hallway.

I just want Scarlet... I want her to be safe...

Teal... she's going to pay. She used to be Scarlet's best friend. Scarlet never did anything to her, and Teal didn't try talking things out... she just shot her. In her sleep, when she didn't even have a chance to defend herself.
Yeah. She was worse than Blue.

I'd just been sat on the floor outside medbay. My dad didn't let me in, because of medical stuff and contamination and all that, but I wanted to be there as soon as Scarlet woke up.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, my father opens the door, telling me that I could go in.

"Is she okay? What got hurt? Will she survive?" Questions come flying from my mouth one after another, my anxiety levels shooting through the roof as I glanced over at the weak-looking figure in the bed, attached to all those tubes...

"It's going to be fine, I think" my dad quietly mutters, giving me a quick hug.

"But, dad... what if-"

"Now don't think like that," he interrupts, "since when was my little boy a pessimist?"

"I'm just scared" I whisper, hugging him tightly.

"I know, son. I know."

***

Lime's PoV:

"What's the news?" I ask Black, whilst holding tightly onto Teal's hand. Coal was sat next to Scarlet, in the opposite corner of the room.

Black nervously glances at the child I'd brought with me before whispering, "bullet lodged itself into her left kidney"

"What?!" I squeaked, rather loudly. Taking a second to compose my self, before I quietly ask "how's she going to survive that?"

"There's a reason we have two of them" Black gives me a sad smile. "I'm sure she'll be okay"

Standing there for a while, I try to work out what exactly the kidneys were supposed to do... uh, you had two of them... you could live with just one, apparently? That's... weird

"Kidneys filter the blood" he says, noticing my confused expression.

"But that's what the liver does!" I protest, and Black laughs a little.

"Yeah, the liver does lots of things, including filtering the blood. But the kidneys also filter it, and makes urine"

"But the bladder is for that!"

"The bladder stores it" he corrects, still smiling slightly. I feel my face flush red.

Oh gosh I feel so dumb right now...

"So... little crash course on the human anatomy then, hey?" He chuckles.

"Yup" I murmur, still feeling extremely embarrassed. "Well... what you're saying is that she's going to be okay?"

"Basically, yeah, I'm sure she'll pull through" Black confirms, taking my hand and gently squeezing it, making me feel slightly reassured.

"I wish I could do more to help..." I murmur, although I was definitely relieved that Black thought it was going to be alright... yet I still couldn't shake the feeling that things were only going to get worse... but how could that be possible?

"I'll watch Teal" Black offers after a moment of silence. "You need to finish tasks"

"O-Okay..." I agree. "Thank you"

"No problem. It's the least I could do"

The Babysitterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें