20

"No more smoking. No more alcohol. No more junk food."

Arlo tunes out of what the doctor is telling him, leaning his head back to stare at the ceiling. Leah, on the other hand, listens intently. "So if we do all this, he could be fine?" She asks when he finishes talking.

The doctor sighs. "There is no 'fine' anymore, Miss Clearwater. Unless we find a donor liver, he will not last long."

Leah looks to Arlo and takes a deep breath, nodding as she glances back at the doctor. "Thank you." She smiles small.

He leaves them be, closing the door gently. Leah looks back to Arlo. "Mom and Charlie are getting tested as we speak. Charlie has the entire police department getting tested and we're going to look at doing a blood drive or something, see if we can ask people to get tested-"

"Why." Arlo asks simply, still staring up.

Leah frowns deeply. "To.. To try and find you a new liver Arlo. You need a liver to sur-"

"I don't want it." He says, rolling over to face away from her.

Leah tries not to get upset. "Don't be silly, you're just feeling like crap right now. You're gonna be o-"

"I said I don't want it!" He yells, turning to glare at her.

Leah freezes for a moment before she rushes out, the door slamming behind her. As she runs down the hall, she passes a confused Sam and Emily. "Leah-" Emily tries to say, but Leah is already gone. She looks at her fiance, worried. "Do you think something happened?"

Sam sighs, having heard everything. They came to see Leah and Arlo, give Leah some company, when he heard. "Not as such. Go take the food to Charlie at the station, I'm sure he hasn't eaten in days. I'll go find Leah."

Emily raises an eyebrow. "Is that a good idea?"

Sam rolls his eyes. "Go." He kisses her head, heading in the opposite direction to follow Leah.

Leah leans on the wall outside the hospital breathing deeply as she looks at the sky. She doesn't look over as Sam leans beside her. "What." She snaps.

"Are you-"

"Stupid fucking question Sam."

He smiles a bit. "I know, sorry... How are you holding up?"

"Why does it matter?" She mutters, looking down.

Sam frowns. "Because you matter. Arlo may be sick but he's your mate, this takes it out on you too."

Leah smiles bitterly and looks at him. "Yeah? Tell him that." She whispers. "Why do you care Sam. I've been an ass to you."

"You're my friend Leah. Since forever. You're also my sister these days. Pack sister." He says softly. "Doesn't matter what we went through, what matters is where we are now."

Leah scoffs. "And where are we now Sam? I tore into you all the other night, I don't have anyone-"

"None of us blame you for what you said. In fact, we thank you for your honesty. It had to be done." He says softly. "We haven't been fair to you and there is no excuse for it - but you can let us make it up to you?"

She shrugs small. "It's whatever..."

"Why don't you go home and rest some? Ill stay here with Arlo while you do, make sure you sleep, shower, eat." He offers.

Leah hesitates. "I don't like leaving him..."

"It won't be for long, come on." Sam smiles small.