02

Arlo keeps his head low as he walks to his new locker; obviously everyone is staring but he's managing to ignore it for now. He hasn't bumped into Bella yet and no one has approached him to be a friendly face - that part sort of relieves him. But speak of the devil and she'll appear.

Bella smiles as she sees him. "Arlo!" She calls, walking away from Edward and Alice. She leans by his locker. "So, how's it going?" She asks, looking up at him.

Arlo forces a smile. "Fab. Dunno what I worried about."

"Cmon, it can't be that bad?" She frowns. "I mean, the people are nosy and overbearing here but-"

"No, they're fine. They hant said a word to me, just how I like it. I'm fine, honest. See you in a bit." He says, dodging past her and walking down the hall. He heads out of the building and keeps walking, ignoring the fact the bell  rings for his biology period. He keeps walking out of the campus, out of the parking lot, and into the streets.

He tried - that's all he promised his mum and Charlie. But this isn't the place for him. Not at all. He just can't focus. Everything is so different to back home and he couldn't even understand half of that. The ADHD, mixed with the anxiety and the paranoia? No thanks.

Since he doesn't really know the area, or what's around, he ducks into a store. He really wishes he had a way of getting around, but until he gets his permits or whatever you need here, he's stuck. "Uh, scuse me, how do I get to that beach near by?"

The woman behind the cash register looks at him funny. "I'm sorry, where?"

Arlo clears his throat. "There's a beach? Push? Or somin?"

"La Push?" She asks.

He nods. She grabs a piece of paper and begins to explain to him, pointing every which way. Arlo tries to follow but gets lost, so he jsut smiles and thanks her as he takes the written directions. What he did gather, however, is that he can't walk there. Not unless he wants to waste the day away.

"Did you say La Push?" An older gentleman in a wheel chair asks.

"Yeah, you know it?" Arlo asks, pushing his bag back onto his shoulder.

The man nods. "I sure do... Does your dad know you're skipping school?"

Arlo pales. "Ah shit-"

The man laughs. "It's okay, I won't tell. I'm Billy, you must be Arlo."

Arlo nods in realisation - Bella mentioned him and showed him the house from a distance as they passed. "That's me."

"Well, help an old man out and I'll give you a ride, how bout that? And I won't tell your dad." He says.

Arlo deliberates and then nods, helping Billy get his wheel chair into the back of the truck. He climbs in the passanger seat and sits quietly as Billy begins to drive, neither saying a word for a moment. "Uh, thanks for this." Arlo finally says.

"Not a problem. So how come you're ditching already?" Billy asks, looking over.

Arlo looks at his sleeves as he plays with them, shrugging. "Didn't feel comfortable... Tried to tell Charlie I didn't wanna start there, I'd do it online, but he was havin none of it." He sighs.

"He just wants what's best for you." Billy reasons. "But I get your discomfort. New country, new people. You finished school back home, I believe? That's gotta be hard to restart it all over again."

Arlo nods and looks at him. "It is... Especially when everyone expects me to be somin I'm not. Some perfect kid like Bella."

"Oh your sister is far from perfect." Billy says, and Arlo can detect a bitter undertone to his voice. "Anyways. Here we are. You need a ride home or anything later?"