03

Arlo walks along the beach again, his music blaring in his ears. This has become one of his favourite places in the last few weeks but, sadly, he hasn't seen that girl again. The one who made his tummy do flips. Online school is fine, he's getting Cs and Ds, about average. Things are harder than back home, lessons wise; why so many types of maths? Back home you do one subject, 5 or so times a week, then you do two exams at the end - one with a calculator and one without. If you want the fancy stuff, you wait for the higher education hell that happens at 16.

Charlie isn't as bad as he thought. He can see why he barely spoke to him growing up - the man is awkward. Antisocial. Keeps to himself. Hopeless. Things are a bit easier now he's in the same room, but even then. Bella always has that boyfriend, Edward or whatever, over and Charlie really doesn't like him. Not at all. Arlo doesn't know what to make of him but from what he's heard? The whole relationship is weird. Bella seems whipped. But, so does he. The way he watches Bella sometimes is weird.

Charlie sometimes drops him off at the beach before work and Bella will get him on the way back. Sometimes Billy Black drives by and offers him a ride, though Arlo is yet to meet the Black kid Bella supposedly had a thing with. He's curious to see what the attraction is, compared to Edward.

As he walks, mostly watches his feet, he gets the same feeling in his tummy. He looks up slowly and sees the girl walking his way, dressed mostly the same as last time. She seems just as surprised to see him as he is to see her.

"Ello again." Arlo says, pushing his hood down. His floppy hair blows around so he pushes it back.

The girl smiles small. "Hello... I'm, uh, sorry about last time. You caught me off guard."

Arlo smiles, shrugging. "S'alrigh. I'm Arlo." He says, holding his hand out.

Leah can't help but smile as he flashes her a cheeky grin. They're about the same height, maybe he's an inch or two taller than her but there's not much there. "I'm Leah. Leah Clearwater."

"Well, Leah, it's good to meet you. And not scare you off with me ugly mug." He smirks. When she looks at him confused, he gives an embarrassed laugh and covers his face for a moment. "Argh, sorry. English slang doesn't settle well with yous. I basically said I'm glad my ugly face didn't scare you off."

"You're far from ugly." Leah blurts, blushing hard as Arlo does the same, both covering the moment with a laugh. "Sorry. I mean, you're a handsome guy. Don't refer to yourself like that." She says gently.

Arlo smiles. "I apologise. What brings you here then, Leah Clearwater?"

She blushes at the way he says her name. "I live on the reservation, Arlo Swan."

"Ughhhhh." He groans, throwing his head back. "You know my dad?"

"I do. He knew... He knew my dad. They were good friends." Leah takes a deep breath and forces a smile.

Arlo frowns as he looks at her. "Were? I'm sorry..."

Leah smiles small. "Don't be it's okay. It's only been a few months b-but I'm getting there. So, Arlo Swan, what brings you here?" She changes the subject, smiling to lighten the mood.

"I really like it here. We didn't have beaches back home, we're landlocked in Doncaster. And it's a good place to thing." He says, looking at his feet for a moment.

"That, I agree with." Leah nods. "Shall we walk?" She motions to the empty beach.

Arlo smiles and nods, turning around and slowly walking beside Leah. "Are you cold? You're barely dressed and have no shoes on."

Leah smiles. "Oh no. One, I'm born and raised here so this is nothing. And two, it's a warm day for here."

"Warm?" He laughs. "I'll take your word for it."