23

Charlie and Bella sit silently on opposite sides of the waiting room, neither saying a word to the other. It's been like that since the other week when Charlie lost it - neither have made a move to speak to the other and Arlo can't be bothered to play piggy in the middle for the rest of his life.

"Cheers doc." He salutes, leaving the office.

Charlie and Bella stand. "Everything okay?" Charlie asks, wanting to be first to say it.

Bella suppresses an eye roll as Arlo nods. "Stable for now, pop, don't worry. I'll be fine missing appointments next week for the honeymoon. Though, I don't think either Leah or I class camping as a honeymoon but hey ho."

"It isn't camping, it's staying in a cabin for a few days." Bella rolls her eyes. "You aren't well enough to do much else."

"He would be if you helped." Charlie mutters.

"Don't star-"

"Enough!" Arlo snaps, stopping in the middle of the empty corridor. "Look at me." He snaps.

Charlie and Bella, stood as far apart as the hallway allows, glance up at Arlo childishly as he crosses his arms, his eyebrows raised. "Listening." Charlie mutters in reassurance.

Arlo puts his hands on his hips. "I get married this weekend. In like 34 hours or whatever. Okay? Me. My day. Leah's day. And it may be one of the last happy memories she and ya get of me so suck it up. Stop bickering. I will haunt you until the day you both die if you ruin it for her." He snaps.

"Fine." Bella grumbles.

"Got it." Charlie huffs, looking around.

Arlo rolls his eyes. "Shake hands. Promise each other to not comment on what's happening and to only talk nicely of me, this situation and each other. Until Monday at the earliest, I'm gone then so you'll not be my problem."

Charlie and Bella huffs, sloppily shaking hands. Charlie pulls away as quickly as he can and shoves his hands back in his pockets. "Come on, let's get home." He says, walking ahead.

Arlo sighs and smiles small at Bella as he follows his dad, leaving her alone. She watches them go before she follows, glancing across the parking lot as Charlie skids away in a huff and puff.

Arlo can't hold in his laugh as his dad speeds away from the hospital. "You are a 40 something year old man, dad, grow up."

"Your sister has means of helping you and she won't! How can I let that go!?" Charlie demands, glaring at the road.

Arlo sighs. "It isn't what I want. I don't want to be what Bella is and my fiance certainly doesn't. Haven't you wondered why Edward and Jacob hate each other? Aside from the obvious." Charlie shakes his head once. "They're enemies. Naturally so. His kind and Leahs kind can't stand one and other so can you imagine if I became him?"

"You know everything...." Charlie realises.

Arlo nods small. "I do, yeah. It's kinda hard not to being with Leah and the fact Ness adores me." He shrugs. "It is what it is, okay? I don't want to be Bella."

Charlie nods small and says nothing else on the matter. He leaves it silent for a while before he finally speaks again. "Sue is mad you aren't wearing a suit."

"She knows I'm not a suit guy, dad, she'll get over it. Think of all the angry sex you'll get." Arlo grins as he climbs out.

Charlie pulls a face. "You're so wrong." He shakes his head, following his son inside. There's several cars parked in his usual spot so he isn't best pleased, not that he was before arriving home but still.