04

"You've got a spring in your step today." Sue notes as her daughter comes into the kitchen.

Leah blushes, grabbing a piece of toast from the pile and slipping her jacket on. "No..." She says, chewing slowly.

Sue smirks. "Uh huh... So how's Arlo?"

Leahs eyes widen. "How did you-"

"Sam. He came to the elders with some concerns, but I think he's just being dramatic." Sue rolls her eyes, still grinning. "Why didn't you say you'd imprinted baby?"

Leah dusts her hands off on her jeans; it's been a while since she wore proper clothes, probably 2 months as that's when she phased first off. Phased and killed her dad... "Uh, I mean it happened like 2 weeks ago. I'm still tryna process, to be honest." She shrugs. "Gotta go, I told Arlo I'd be at his for 8." She kisses her moms cheek and rushes out.

As Leah drives, she sees a wolf running along beside her; with a sigh, she pulls over and climbs out. "What do you want Sam? You already told my mom and the elders, what else do you want from me?"

Sam emerges from the trees in just shorts. "I wanted to talk. Properly."

"And I don't want to talk. At all." Leah rolls her eyes, crossing her arms. "I've got places to be, say what you need to then let me go."

"To Arlo?" Sam snaps. "Bellas brother. I mean, God Leah, she's the enemy. That makes-"

"Ohhhh don't you dare say he's the enemy, he doesn't even know her properly. He has no idea what's going on!" Leah snaps.

"My orders were to do everything to make sure he remains oblivious!" Sam yells.

"Your orders!? Your words mean nothing to me Sam! You know damn well I can't control it!" Leah screams at him. "Remember those words you said to me? You broke off our engagement and moved on with my cousin! That was a dick move. And the first thing you say to me after I phased was 'now you know, I really couldn't control it'. Eat your own words you jackass, why can't any of you let me have this!"

" You have a responsibility to the pack!"

"I have a responsibility to no one! I didn't want this, I don't want it and I sure as hell don't want any of you butting your noses into my business! Fuck off!" She yells, climbing in the truck and speeding away. Her hands shake as she drives, the steering wheel groaning under the stress of her clenching fingers. Her breathing comes heavy as she speeds to Forks.

When she eventually parks outside the Swan House, she exhales slowly. A lot of her stress and anger has disappeared, but a little lingers; it flares when she sees a Cullen parked in front of her. She climbs out regardless, heading towards the house. The door opens and Edward steps out, closing it behind him.

"You really don't want to do this right now, leech." Leah snarls.

"Good morning to you, too, Leah. I just have a few questions." Edward says, his hands in his pockets.

Leah stares him down. "30 seconds."

Edward resists the urge to roll his eyes. "Why the interest in Arlo?"

"He's my friend." She lies.

"Hmm. And does he know?" Edward stares back just as intensely.

"No. And I don't want him to."

Edward is surprised by this. "Oh... Well, that's a relief then." He mutters. "If you're going to be around, we must come to some sort of-"

"Yeah, I won't be making any deals with you, leech. You stay out of my way, I stay out of yours, I don't give a shit about territory right now. Okay? Good. Done." She snaps, walking inside.