22

Leah strokes Arlo's hair back, unable to sleep as usual. She's scared to fall asleep - what if something happened to him and she never got to see him again? She's savouring every moment she can just looking at him, being with him, talking to him. He is her best friend, her everything, and she hates to even consider there being a future without him.

Sue taps gently on the door and peaks in, a small smile on her face. "Hey..." She whispers. "Thought you'd be up. Coffee?" She asks.

Leah nods small and gently kisses her mates head, climbing off the bed and slipping his hoodie on as she follows her mom. "How come you're up? You don't start work for another few hours." She says quietly as she sits at the table, her mom sorting the drinks.

Sue smiles softly in the dark kitchen, the only light from the moon; considering its 3am, neither of them reach for the lights. "I haven't been sleeping much..."

Leah frowns. "Is everything okay?"

Sue shakes her head and hands Leah a mug. "No, it isn't. My daughter is heartbroken, so I'm worried about her. My boyfriends son is dying and I can't help either of them. I don't think I can watch Charlie loose anything else..."

Leah takes a shaky breath. "I get that feeling... Can I ask you something ma?"

"Of course."

Leah looks over at her in the dark. "How do you do it?"

"Do what baby?" Sue takes Leahs hand.

"Wake up." Leah whispers, looking down as she tears.

Sue squeezes her hand. "Oh baby, it gets easier. But it'll always be hard." She says honestly. "You have time to deal with the possibility but when your dad... When he passed, it was so sudden. I'd kissed him that morning, talked to him about dinner and what game was going to be on and we never got to finish that day."

Both women are silent for a moment.

"You have to have faith in God, honey." Sue finally says. "In nature. In your friends and family. We're all fighting and praying alongside you, baby, you aren't alone in this."

Leah sniffles and wipes her cheeks. "I don't want to sleep." She admits, looking out of the window as she plays with the still full mug. "What if he dies and I wasn't there? Or if something goes wrong.... Or if he's in pain. Or-"

"Baby, he's got time." She promises her daughter. "But you can't stop taking care of yourself to take care of him. It isn't good for either of you, okay? You need sleep as much as he does. You need to eat just as much as he does." She coos. "Your rollercoaster doesn't stop because his has hit a bump."

Leah clears her throat and moves to put her mug in the sink. "It should. We run together or not at all." She says, walking off upstairs.

Sue bites her lip nervously. What happens to Leah if Arlo dies...?

-

Arlo pulls his hoodie down. "I don't know how I have any blood left." He snaps to himself as he leaves the doctors office. He spends most of his time there, these days.

He huffs as he climbs in his truck, closing his eyes for a moment. He's exhausted, but he can let it show - he won't let it show. With a deep breath he pulls out of the parking spot and heads to the Cullen's, tapping the wheel as he drives. Ever since he's realised his time is running out he has so many songs he wants to write, so much he has to say. He can't stop writing.

Renesmee is waiting for him on the porch when he pulls up, a big grin of excitement upon seeing him. "Arlo!"

He smiles as he slams the truck door. "Sup beansprout. You ever gon stop growin?"

She hugs him tightly as he runs her back crouching over. "Never. I'm easily going to be taller than you." She sasses.

"Probably, you're already smarter than me." He laughs, following her inside.

"Hungry?" Esme calls from the kitchen.

"I'm good thanks!" He calls back, sitting with Ness on the couch.

"Can you teach me guitar, uncle Arlo?" She asks softly.

"I ain't good at teachi- don't pout at m- Ness that's no-fine!" He snaps. How can he resist the many pouty faces and big puppy eyes of a half human child?

She grins and disappears for a second before returning with a pristine shiny acoustic guitar. "Let's go!"

He rolls his eyes and sits up a little. "Okay okay, jesus. You're more pushy than Sue." He mutters.

He spends a while teaching her where to place her fingers and things, but it doesn't take much for her to be almost fluent. She strums the cords gently and looks up at Arlo as he leans back with his eyes closed. "Uncle Arlo?" Ness says quietly.

"Mm?" He hums.

"Have you thought of asking for help?" She says softly.

Arlo opens his eyes and looks over, frowning. "Help? I'm gettin help, kid."

"No.. I mean... Like... From mom. Or grandpa. Or me." She shrugs small, looking down at the strings to distract herself.

Arlo smiles sadly to himself as he closes his eyes again. "I don't want this life kid. I can barely function as a humon let alone an immortal with endless days in front of em. And what about Leah? Gramps Charlie? I've got a lot to consider before I ever ask that." He says gently.

"I wish you were more like mom... She doesn't care about much, she likes things done her way." Ness says.

Arlo can't help but laugh. "Oh you have that right." He says, sitting up. "Gimme."

Ness hands the guitar over and watches him as he strums a few chords, tuning it. He clears his throat and begins to sing as he plays.

/ It's a God-awful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair
But her mummy is yelling, "No"
And her daddy has told her to go

But her friend is nowhere to be seen
Now she walks through her sunken dream
To the seat with the clearest view
And she's hooked to the silver screen/

"I like David Bowie." Ness says quietly.

Arlo smiles. "If that's one thing I can teach you before I die, it's that Bowie is the King and Mercury is his queen."

"What about the Beatles?" Emmett asks as he comes in.

"The Beatles?" Arlo says. "They had a few gooduns. Nothing on Queen though."

"Debatable." Rosalie says as she pulls Ness onto her lap.

Said girl giggles. "I don't think you can argue with them about music, Uncle Arlo."

"Is that a fact, Resume?" He smiles. "Your uncle and aunt may have lived it all but it doesn't mean they really know the music, kiddo. She's blonde and he's a jock, there isn't much going on in their heads."

Ness howls with laugher as Emmett tries to hide his, Rosalie growling. Arlo does love winding them up.

//Apologies for the shorter update, I've not had the best of weeks lately. Next one will be longer!