ANNIE LEONHART ▸ EXCUSES

ANNIE | G!N READER

THE LAST THING y/n could remember was using their odm gear to get closer to annie, stopping her from falling harshly onto the ground, when her own odm gear stopped working out of nowhere, during one of the trainings in the forest. grabbing annie, the e/c eyed person got on one of the tree branches, trying to catch their breath, before their leg suddenly slipped. the second before everything went pitch black, y/n could remember trying to desperately use their odm gear, but failing, with the blonde female shouting their name in the background.

a groan escaped the h/c haired person's lips, as their eyes started to slowly open, their eyelids not feelings so heavy anymore. sudden wave of pain rash to the back of their head, causing y/n's hand to quickly move towards it, before feeling a bandages wrapped all around their head. "y/n!" male voice calling out their name made the e/c eyed person finally fully open their eyes and look around.

"reiner? bertholdt?" looking at both side of the bed y/n was currently laying, confusion filled their system, wondering how they ended up in a hospital bed. "you're finally awake." bertholdt send the h/c haired person a small, assuring smile. "my head..." groaning, y/n carefully touched the back of their head, trying not to cause too much pain.

"yeah, you fell pretty hard." rubbing the back of his neck, reiner nervously chuckled. "fell...?" the e/c eyed person muttered, searching everywhere in their memories for what happend, before it hit them. "annie!" calling out her name, y/n swiftly looked all around the room once again, hoping to find the blonde female somewhere close. "y/n, it's alright and annie's alright too. she just went to grab you a glass of fresh water if you'd wake up." placing his hand on the edge of their bed, bertholdt tried to calm down y/n's slight freaking out.

the door slowly creaking open caught y/n's attention, making their head snap towards as their eyes landed on the blonde female. the couple just stared at each other, rather strange tension between them, causing the other two males to stand up. "i think it's our time to go. bye, y/n." reiner gave you a small nod, making his way towards the door, with bertholdt following right after him. "i hope you'll feel better soon, y/n."

placing down the glass of water on the nightstand next to the h/c haired person's bed, annie sat down in a chair. "you've been asleep for two days." the blonde female muttered, her gaze never leaving the hospital floor. "oh..." nodding, y/n's gaze shifted onto the white bed sheets, as they took in the information. "i'm glad you're alright, annie." the e/c eyed person looked towards the female, just for their eyes to never meet.

"me?" scoffing, annie slowly shook her head from side to side, confusing y/n by her reaction. "i would have been perfectly fine, even if you wouldn't grab me back there." finally raising her head up, the blonde female glared at y/n. "what do you mean? annie, you were about to fall down. you really think i'd let you and just watch?" the h/c haired person furrowed their eyebrows.

"i had it under control, okay? i can take care of myself, y/n." harshly standing up from the chair, the blonde female raised her tone. "i was just trying to help you, so i don't see any reason for you to be mad at me." the pain at the back of y/n's head wasn't helping, as everytime annie's voice got little louder, their head started to pound even more. "i can take care of myself! and i don't need anyone else to do that for me. not you, not anyone else!"

before y/n could say anything , annie stormed out of the hospital room, shutting the close behind her, leaving the e/c eyed person sitting there, astheir feelings overwhelmed them. "i was just trying to help..." whispering, y/n laid back down, staring up at the ceiling.

- - -

two days has passed, and y/n was still spending their nights in the hospital, because of their head injury. being up all night, the h/c haired person couldn't help, but think about what they've done wrong to make annie snap the way she did. all y/n wanted to do was protect the person they cared about the most, no matter what it takes.

feeling lonely most of the time, the e/c eyed person couldn't be more grateful for reiner and bertholdt visiting them everytime they were able to, and informing y/n about what's going on outside, while they're in their hospital bed, with a doctor checking up on them once in a while.

"did you guys saw annie today?" furrowing their eyebrows, y/n looked between the two males, curious about their girlfriend. "we saw her in the morning, but not since then. she mentioned she'll be busy." bertholdt answered, causing the h/c haired person sigh at his words. "busy doing what? making more excuses why not come to see me?" laying their head onto the pilow, y/n's gaze followed all the cracks over the ceiling.

"let me talk to her." reiner stood up, as the e/c eyed person's head snapped towards him. "what?" y/n raised an eyebrow at the blonde male. "maybe reiner's right. after all, she feels guilty, because she thinks she's the reason you're hurt." bertholdt added, copying the blonde's moves and also standing up from his chair next to the hospital bed. "are you guys sure? i don't wanna fight with her." sighing, y/n looked down at the white bed sheets. "we're sure, y/n." with those words, both of the males left the room.

it was quiet for the next few minutes, as the e/c eyed person kept staring at the ceiling in a silence, before a knock on the door interrupted their thoughts. "come in." y/n called out, making sure the person on the other side of the door could hear them. feeling their heart skip a beat, y/n's eyes landed onto the blonde female carefully walking into the hospital room, closing the door and taking a deep breath in, as she continued to face the door.

"how's your head?" annie finally turned around, yet her gaze was glued to the cold floor. "it doesn't hurt much anymore." muttering, the e/c eyed person sat up from their laying position. "so i see you're no longer busy." a long sigh escaped the blonde's lips at y/n's words. "i came here to apologise..." looking up, annie's icy blues eyes met y/n's e/c ones for the first time she entered the room.

rubbing the back of her neck, annie took a step closer to the h/c haired person. "i shouldn't have got angry at you for helping me." nervously hiding her hands inside the pockets of her white hoodie, annie continued. "i just... i'm the reason you got hurt." the blonde quickly gazed back at the floor, as a silence fell over the room.

"help me stand up, please." throwing the covers of themselves, y/n swinged their legs over the edge of the hospital bed, as annie furrowed her eyebrows at the sudden demand. stepping closer, annie held out her hands for the e/c eyed person, who accepted them without any thinking, before standing up.

y/n's legs were sore, as they had to spend most of their time laying in the hospital bed, causing their knees to suddenly feel weak. with the slight fear of falling down, the h/c haired person threw their arms around annie's shoudlers, burying their head into the crook of her neck in process. "y/n, are you alright?" worriedly asking, the blonde placed both of her hands on y/n's back.

"i'm alright, don't worry." the e/c eyed person muttered, before raising their head to look into annie's icy blue eyes, their arms never leaving her shoulders. "and you should also not worry about me getting hurt. it wasn't your fault, annie. i chose to help you, so please stop feeling guilty." y/n's words made the blonde's icy blue eyes slightly widen, before she loudly gulped.

"i- i know..." annie's voice was not too far away from a whisper, yet the h/c haired person was able to hear it. softly smiling, y/n placed their hand on the back of annie's head, pulling her into an embrace, while it was now the blonde's turn to hide her face into the crook of y/n's neck.

"it's alright to let someone help you once in a while, so the next time someone does, don't get mad." pressing a soft kiss into annie's hair, all y/n got as an answer was a small hum, causing the corners of their lips to twitch into a small smile, while the couple continued to enjoy the comforting embrace.

a/n : i just posted a first chapter of my annie x fem!reader book (modern, high school au), so if you feel like it- you can check it out!!

- ANNA