Raincoat

Mixed responses filled the cabin.

Most people, like you and Montana, were eager to hear what else Brooke had to say about this 'guy in a raincoat'.

The others, like Chet and Xavier, assumed she was just paranoid, drunk, or insane.

Or maybe they were just saying that to reassure themselves, who knows.

Ray was just silent.

"What do you mean a guy in a raincoat?" Trevor scoffs, his right arm wrapped around Montana's waist.

Brooke looked at him.

Her eyes were filled with tears threatening to spill onto the ground.

"I- I- I don't know!" She exclaims, aggression laced in her voice, "He was just chasing me!!"

"So you saw some guy in a raincoat? But it's not even-" Chet paused mid sentence, "Oh, my bad, it is raining."

Montana threw an empty beer can at his head, slightly agitated,  slightly amused at how dense he was being.

"What did he look like?" You ask anxiously.

"He looked like- like that guy on TV! M-Mr Jingles" She answers, only realising who he was halfway through the sentence.

She had finally caught her breath but still was pretty high on adrenaline.

You tried your best to seem unaffected by these words but it was proving to be quite a hard feat.

Fear was trickling into your brain, slowly but effectively.

It was only Xavier's cocky confidence that snapped you straight out of it.

"Let's go outside and see this guy!" Xavier smirks, "Maybe we'll even get his autograph."

Montana shot him a death stare that shut him up but somehow it gave you a small amount of reassurance.

Xavier ignored Montana and strode to the door.

Before he could swing it open, Ray stopped him.

"Wait! We should reconsider. If there literally is a killer out there then we need to have some sort of strategy." He states.

"Nah, he's an old man, we can just hit him on the head and then blame it on dementia or something." Chet scoffs.

Unfortunately, you weren't amused.

You had seen a figure in a coat.

Maybe it was Mr Jingles.

Either way, you kept telling yourself that you didn't care.

Someone was after Brooke.

And you had to help your first real friend any way possible.

"No strategy." You declare, trying to seem as calm and collected as possible as you strode to the door, "Just leg it if you see him."

You lightly shoved Xavier away from the door and strode out into the cold night.

Rain drops glistened in the moonlight that barely illuminated the area.

You heard the door slam shut behind you.

And then reopen.

"I'm not gonna let you die alone."

It was Montana Duke.

"Montana!" You exclaim, spinning round as she pulled you into a hug.

"This is kinda terrifying." She admits but she didn't seem scared.

She was good at putting on a front, you admired her for that.

Then the door reopened.

It was Brooke.

She hung in the doorway, yelling above the pitter patter of the rain, her voice slicing through the crisp night air.

"P-Please don't go! I don't want you to be killed like him!"

The word killed resonated in your head for what seemed like an eternity.

"Who?" Montana questions, more confused than curious, there were no other male camp counsellors besides the ones who were safe and sound in the cabin.

Then you realised.

"The hitchhiker?" You raise an eyebrow.

All Brooke could do was nod.

So sorry that the quality of this stuff isn't as good as it was.

Quick question: what music do you guys listen to? I kinda want to know if my music taste is normal.