Brave

Panic began to swell inside of you.

"Brooke!" You snapped, fed up with the drama of today, "Why didn't you tell us someone was dead!"

This trip to Los Angeles was turning out to be not as relaxing as you originally presumed.

"Y-YeaH!" Montana says, adding extra emphasis to her word.

You just assumed she was scared but too scared to admit.

"I don't k-" Brooke says, shakily before realising herself and making her words more perceivable, "I'll just show you."

You admired her bravery as she strode away from the safety and comfort of the doorway and led you and Montana towards the cabin that the hitchhiker was staying in.

"Do you think it's just PTSD??" Montana whispers into your ear as your feet crunch along the gravel.

Brooke was too far ahead to hear the conversation between you and Montana so you assume it wouldn't hurt to whisper back.

"Possibly.."

You let the word hang in your mouth.

When you said it, it felt as if it wasn't quite right so you decide to correct yourself.

"Ya know what, I'm not sure."

You were sure Montana would've replied with some form of reassurance but instead, you hear Brooke's voice from ahead of you.

"Guys," Her voice wavers.

She was standing at the wooden door and was unlocking the latch.

It swung open, the eerie creek of it could be heard clearer than ever, even over the rain.

Soon enough, the three of you stood side by side in the hallway inside the cabin.

It was completely silent.

"Y/n." Brooke whispers, you could hear the utter terror in her voice.

"Yup." You say, gulping.

"Can you open the door? I- I don't exactly want to go back in there."

You didn't want to go in there either.

"Um.." You say, trying to come up with a good excuse to not go in, "How bad is it?"

"Pretty bad," Brooke grimaces, "The guys impaled on the back of the door- Wait no!"

It seemed Montana had got bored of the talk and had pushed the door open.

The room was silent.

You at least expected to hear the man's breathing or snoring.

"I- I'm going to stay out here." Brooke says, hanging in the doorframe again.

You nod at her as you slowly rotate your head and peer at the back of the door.

A wave of relief washed through you.

Quenching any fear that you had previously felt.

You almost smiled, "Ha! Montana! You were right!"

Montana looked over to you.

She smiled.

"Brooke it's fine!" She says sweetly, beckoning her over.

Brooke tilted her head in confusion when she saw no impaled man, no body, no blood, nothing at all.

"I- I swear I saw something!" Brooke exclaims.

"Well," Montana sighs, "It clearly wasn't an impaled hitchhiker."

"B-But what about Mr Jingles?" Brooke says worriedly, "He's still out there."

Montana gave you a look that meant 'This girl is fucking insane'

The thing was, you knew that she wasn't completely insane.

For one, you had seen someone wearing a black coat.

For two, you had no idea where the hitchhiker was.

He had left the room completely.