Chapter 36

(Hans)

The men were mounted and ready to go, they just needed that last motivational speech that my father and ALL my brothers were so very good at.

I gather the reins of my steed and swing up unto his broad back. I roll my eyes as I watch my ally romping around in the snow with his stag. Or reindeer as it had been pointed out to me. He was playing carrot keep away with the beast. Holding the bright orange vegetable just barely out of its reach.

"Don't talk to me like that." He snips. Wait, is he talking to the beast?
"You know it's rude to swear." He really was talking to the animal. As if he could understand it.

Great, I'm riding into battle with an escaped asylum patient....
Never mind, I've already made enough peace with his incompetence.

He mounted the beast.
"How on can you ride on that... nice animal?" I worded my question carefully, once I realized how off putting it might be.

"I think the real question is how can you not be riding one?" He cocks a grin. " It's easier then riding a horse. Old Sven here is lower to the ground, and much studier then a horse. Smarter and more agile as well. Built for this icy weather, he can adapt to the terrain, scale frozen paths and mountains, and isn't afraid to jump cliffs." He lovingly pats the neck of his mount.

"Plus he's a way better conversationalist then any horse I've ever met." Kristof smirks. 'Conversationalist' That's a pretty big word for a nutter. Leave it be Hans, leave it be. I warn myself.

The troops line horses into formation, a mixture of the remaining guards of Arendale, mounted beside my much larger armada of Southern Isles guardsmen. Both Forces stare expectantly at us, turning away from the exit.

"What are they waiting for?" Kristof raises an eyebrow. I run my hand over my face and grumble to myself. "I think they are expecting a speech."
"A speech, really?" He cocks his head.

"Alright Romeo, since this is your country, and your queen... This ones all on you." I wave towards the direction of the troops, leaning on my saddle horn with a grin.

"Oh no... Oh no no no!" He raises his hands up in protest. "I don't do speeches. I'm not exactly what you'd call a people person."

It has been noted...

"Very well then." I straighten up. "If you insist." I urge Thunder over the the head of the troop line. "Gentlemen..." I begin. "Warriors of Arendale, as well as my fellow islanders." I walk Thunder across, so that I can look into the eyes of the men. "Today we fight for the most noble cause a man can, for freedom."

" Sons of Arendale, you fight to protect your homeland, to protect your people and to save your beloved queen. One young monarch was taken before her time by these mongrels, will you stand by and let this happen again?" .

"No we will not!" The soldiers clad in blue and silver cried.
"I can't hear you!" I bellow.
"NO WE WILL NOT!" Their cry is deafening.

"Good, I didn't think so!" I turn my horse. "Soliders of the Isles, this land may not be yours, but I know you see why we must defend it. We are the last line of defense before these monsters will set there sights on our beloved homeland. If we do not fight, if we do not protect the good people of our neighboring nation. We will be next. We must show the world the strength of the Southern Isles. That one may not step on our allies, that we are willing to fight, to die!" I am filled to the brim with honest emotion as I speak these words.

"We will fight!" They cheer

I see it now. I see all of it. Why my father is the way he is. I now know what is like to lead.

"Onward, to victory!"

********

-Authors Note-
Yes I know it's a short chapter, but part 2 will be posted shortly.
So, how's the fanart coming?
Thank you all so much for your support on this book. My sister and I live for your comments and votes. We love y'all!
Goodnight everyone.

-Geekpower1