Chapter 17

(Anna)

Everyday after that, Much to the argument of my unwanted companion, I would insist on walking around the castle. But I kept them short, I didn't exhaust myself like I did the first day, I knew better. Better to be on my own feet then carried in his arms like a small child. Hans insisted I eat more, and I did. He threatened to carry me down to the kitchens himself if I didn't.

He would sit there, watching me like a hawk until I ate every last morsel. My guards were of little use, I called for them to have him removed several times out of annoyance.... But with most of the Arendale guard relieved of duty, it was always Southern Isle guards that came when I called. His guards.

"Well someone is looking better today." Hans announced. Fixing his silk cravat that he wore around his neck as he stepped uninvited into my room. "Less pale like death anyways." He smirked in sarcasm. He appeared to be a bright mood today.

"Good morning Prince Hans." I seethed formality, narrowing my eyes at him from the dresser where I sat. "Morning, .....Anna." He replied, arrogantly dismissing my title. I simply rolled my eyes. Over the last week in his company I had become accustomed to his blatant disregard of respect for my stature. He had gone from ignoring me and treating me with total ice, to sarcastically mocking me, or picking apart every little thing I'd suggest. I think I preferred the ice...

"Ready to go?" He asked, handing me my walking stick. "No thank you, I won't be needing that today." I replied, not taking the staff. I was feeling much better lately, and though I'd never admit it to his face, I think my forced increase in meal rations had played a large part in that.

"Well look whose all ready to ditch her sea legs." He smirked pulling my cloak off the rack and tying it around my neck. I grabbed the ties and yanked them out of his hands. "I can do it myself, I am not a child!" I cried in annoyance. Anything to belittle me...

"Hey easy their, Im just trying to do my job." He held his hands up in surrender. We walked in silence down to the courtyard. He whistled cheerfully as we walked along, in the best mood I had seen him in all week. I rolled my eyes, assuming that last night, one of my pretty servant girls might have had something to do with that.

I was supervising the distribution of rations when a little girl, not older then four walked up, dolly in hand and tugged on my skirt. "Majesty?" Her little voice called up softly.

"I'm terribly sorry!" Her mothers eyes went wide when she noticed the small peasants hands on my royal garment. "Its all right." I held my hand up to stop her from pulling her child away. I knelt down onto the snow, lowering myself to eye level with the pretty blonde hair and piercing blue eyes of the sweet child. She reminded me so much of my dear sister Elsa...

"Yes darling?" I spoke softly. She gulped nervously, as if gathering up every ounce of her courage to ask me something. "Y-Your Queeness...."she stuttered "Can we go home soon? I miss my home." She asked, nervously wringing the arm of her raggedy dolly. Your Queeness, how sweet, I like that.

I took a deep breath, regretting what I about to tell her. The whole crowd had stopped eating and how now turned to watch me. I looked up at Hans, who stood as always directly beside me, he simply shrugged. "I miss my home as well sweet child, but we can't go home... Yet. Right now some bad men are staying there, and its not safe. But don't worry honey, once the bad people leave, we can go home, I promise." I explained, placing a gloved hand on her small and fragile shoulder.

Her little face clouded into confusion and sadness as her bottom lip pouted out. She looked up at the unwilling companion who stood at my side. "Is the brave prince going to make the bad men go away?" She questioned, staring up at Hans with a look of hero worship.