Chapter 51

(Delilah)

My heart was shattered, again.
When he looked at me, it only made it worse. Why did I do this to myself, how stupid was I to come all the way out here when deep down I knew his heart belonged to someone else.

How could I ever even hope to compete with that beautiful queen. She wasn't like he described her at all. Yes, she was beautiful and kind like he said, but I didn't see an energetic naive princess, everything about Anna screamed with the grace of a monarch. She didn't walk, she floated. She was delicate and as pretty as a rose. How could I, the course and unrefined, loner daughter of a healer and a lumberjack ever even believe for a second that he could feel the same way.

All my insecurities, all my pain, it all came crashing down on me, but it was when he caught my eyes, when he looked at me while holding her, that's when I broke.
Holding my head high, I backed out of the room and as soon as I was out of his eyesight, I ran. I kept running, I needed something, a distraction, something to be doing because I felt like crying. And I, Delilah of the mountains, haven't cried since my father died.

Somehow I found myself in the makeshift hospital part of the castle. The place is quiet, anyone well enough to stand has trudged themselves over to welcome and pay respect to the Queens. The severely injured slept soundly in the cots, with the help of the herbal sedative I had given them.

I forced myself to check on them, but not even this distraction helped with the lump in her throat or the ache in her heart. I found myself in the doorway of the Prince's room. He lay sleeping on the large poster bed, I approached and began instinctively tucking the blankets back around him. When I reached to check his temperature with the back of her palm, he stirred. "How do you feel." I asked, trying not to let my voice tremble.

"Still alive..." He answers. "Is she..." he starts, "has she...." he continues before correcting himself, clearing his throat and regaining his princely demenor. "Has the royal fleet returned yet?"

"Yes, they have returned victorious." I say without feeling. "Good." He sighs in relief. His face softens, and he looks at me with concern. "Are you alright?"
"I'm fine." I say through gritted teeth, the lump in my throat gaining ground by the second. He forces himself up onto his elbows. "Stop. You can't fib a fibber."

Still, I say nothing, just continue pulling up his blankets. His eyes widen... "What happened? Something happened I can tell!" I turn for the door. "Nothing bad happened, haven't you heard the joyous news...?" I grip the door tightly, my back to him as a single tear slides down onto my cheek. "Arendale is now going to have two queens, and even better, both Queens are getting married tonight."

As I run down the hall, I swear I hear a pained cry of frustration echoing throughout the halls.

I managed to make it to Pompeii's stall, I crumble in the corner and begin to cry.
Pulling my knees to my chest as salty tears begin to land on the burgandy fabric of my dress. They fall, unbridled and uncontained, I sob. My beloved horse, noticing my distress, approaches me and nuzzles my cheek with his big soft silver nose. I wrap my arms around his face and hug him tightly. After I have cried myself out, slowly, my tears stop flowing. Pompeii has always been there for me. My sweet boy.

In my state, I didn't even notice that we were not alone. "I see you made a friend." I sniffle, wiping my eyes with my sleeve, nodding to the large brown reindeer who had walked cautiously up beside my horse. Pompeii snorts, and nudges the side of his nose against the cheek of the reindeer in the horse gesture of friendship.

"You must be Sven." I Say to him, and he perks up instantly, stepping closer till his face is only inches from mine, and I feel warm, carrot scented reindeer breath puffing gently on my face. "I've heard so much about you from Kristof." I reach out to stroke his face, his fur is unbelievably soft. He snorts again. "Don't worry, only good things." I reassure, which pleases him. "I'm glad you are reunited with him. He missed you you terribly." I tell him.

"I missed you too." Kristof's voice calls from outside the stall, and I nearly jump out of my skin. There he stood, His elbows propped up on the stall gate, he was leaning on it, watching me. "Kristof!" I shoot to my feet in suprise, instinctively dusting the hay and bedding from my skirt.

"Hello Delilah." He smiles at me. That warm, blizzard melting stupid smile of his, opening the gate he steps into the stall with us. I press my hands to my sides, praying he did not see me cry. "Elsa told me what you did for her, and the villagers are raving about your near magic healing skills."

I remain quiet, I am not really sure what to say to him. I don't wish to embarrass myself further. Sven marches towards him enthusiastically, grabbing him by his red sash and pulling him towards me. "Easy there boy..." he chuckles lightly. "I think you really made an impression."
Still I remain quiet, scared that any words would lead to more tears.

His eyes go wide as he steps closer to me, filling the room with an immediate awkward tension. "Are you ok? Have... have you been crying?" He asks, grabbing my chin and turning my face side to side to examine it. "I'm fine." I answer firmly, removing his hand. I could see he knew I was lying. But thank god he didn't press it.

"Did you get your trees to town alright?" He asks. "No, most of them are still waiting for me." I reply, glad for such casual question. "Why on earth would you leave your trees during prime logging season? By the time you get back they will be worthless" He shakes his head.

"I had to..." My voice cracked.
His Adams apple bobs nervously. He sighs and places his large hands on my shoulder, warmth spreading throughout my body at his touch, which only made that pit in my stomach dig deeper. "Please tell me the truth." His voice sounded pained. "Why did you do it?"

I bite my lip, grabbing his wrists and holding them. "I came here to tell someone how I felt about them. Tell them that I was in love with them, crazy about them. See if their was maybe the slightest chance that person felt the same way." I explained, fresh tears welling up again.

Immediately he pulled me into his arms, embracing me tightly, comforting me as I did my best not to cry again.

"But I shouldn't have come, it's quite obvious this person does not feel the same way." A single sob escapes me.
He said nothing, probably thought I was an idiot. I mean it's not like he didn't tell me about her. Two more silent tears streamed down my face, and I pulled him as tight as I could. For a brief second I enjoyed his unmistakable scent of the mountains.

I pull back, but his hands remain firmly on my waist. He remains quiet, but kisses me on the top of my head, then my forehead, next he kisses away the tears on my eyes, then my cheeks, I feel him pull back abruptly, as if stopping himself from something. Quickly he pulls me back into a hug.

"I'm really really glad to see you again Delilah." He says, and his voice sounds torn. "But I have to marry Anna."

____________________________

-Authors Note-

HELLO LOVELIES!
So sorry for the long wait, but defrosted is now OFFICIALLY back in business. Next chapter won't be long away. What did you guys think? Can't wait to read the comments.
Missed you all,
-Geekpower1