Chapter 52

(Hans )

With my arm in a sling and my torso wrapped with more bandages then the dead Pharoahs of Egypt, I packed up my belongings into a satchel.

My aunt wanted to return home to the kingdom. She and the other captured princesses. My mothers sister had explained to me when I'd asked if any of these other women would like to be returned home to their own native lands, that during their imprisonment, these women had bonded to the point that separation would not be feasible, at least not for right now.

With the news of Anna's bethoral, I didn't wish to stay a second longer then necessary. I had told my aunt that we would be leaving soon, which is why I was now packing.

She wanted to provide them all with a stable home, as many of them had small children, and or were with child.
But she was right, If their ever was a country that could welcome these princesses, it would be the great trade nation of my families kindom.
They would be accepted and treated with great respect, and such exotic beauties would have no trouble at all marrying any man of their choosing. Deep down I prayed they all find love, real love. Men who would always treat them with kindness, and raise these half barbarian children as their own.

When did I become such a hopeless romantic?

The ship would be leaving in a little over an hour, around the same time as the wedding. It had to be this way. I knew in my heart I wouldn't be able to sit through it. Watching the woman I love with her hand in another's, promising her life to him, kissing him...

I thought back to that night on the Bloodhound. The way she had clung to me through those bars during that kiss... and my already cracked heart shattered even further. No, there was no way I could watch her do that to him. That's why I had to go before the wedding. I had to go before I did something stupid, or embarrassed her in front of her subjects.

I started to pack my armor when I felt a presence behind me, immediately I knew it was her. "Hans!" She lights up exuberantly, I wish I would get tired of hearing her say my name. Remembering my place, I do my best to give her a slight bow. "Your grace." I greet officially.

"Stop that Hans, Elsa isn't watching or anything." She laughs walking up towards me. "Why are you packing? You are hurt, you should be resting?! " She scolds.
"I have fulfilled my duty." I reply, forcing myself to look her in those gorgeous green eyes. "My aunt wishes to return to the Southern Isles as soon as possible. I do as well. We leave at dusk."

"Oh.." she responds quietly. "Congratulations on your wedding." I force myself to say, but cannot look her in the eyes. "Kristof is one of the finest men I've ever had at my side. He is Is a good and Noble man." I speak honestly. "He will make a fine husband. Even if he does smell like wet fur all the time."

I turn from her and continued to pack. "All I care about is your happiness Anna. And if he makes you happy... then I'm happy for you. You deserve nothing less then a wonderful life." I hold back that lump in my throat.

"I have to go. I cannot stay here, you know why. But I'll always be there for you Anna, for Arendale." She listens quietly as I speak. I cannot see her expression as my back is turned. "Should Arendale ever need the Southern Isles again, I'll be here just as fast as I can hoist the sails."

I finish packing. I place the satchel at the door for one of my men to have taken to the docks.

I brace myself against the door. Turning back to look at her. I look hard, knowing this was probably the last time I was ever going to see her. I wanted to remember her like this. Sweet, beautiful fiery Anna.
She looked saddened, and I just wanted to hug her one last time, but I knew it wasn't my place.

"Goodbye Anna."

☆☆☆☆☆

(Elsa)

I stood in my room, preparing myself for my wedding. I braided my hair into a crown, letting loose curls fall from beneath the braid and hang around my face. My mothers wedding dress hung beside my dresser.

The sounds of festivities and wedding preparations could be heard throughout the castle. I smiled at the sound of children running through the halls. The sons and daughters of Anna's sister wives were experiencing freedom and life not on a ship for the first time.

I couldn't believe this was actually going to happen. All those years, locked away in my room, I had never once even dared to dream about my wedding day. My icy curse never allowed me to even think about love, or men. I knew I was queen, and a marriage was to be expected of normal royalty, that i needed a heir.

I had always thought I'd have to rule alone, leave my throne to Anna's first born when my time finally came. My life had taken such an unexpected turn. I could now dream of nights curled up to a loving husband, the pitter patter of the small feet of my own children that would soon fill these halls. Jack Frost completed me, and I couldn't be happier.

After applying a bit or color to my pale face, I stood up and took the dress off its hanger and studied it with a small smile. I brought a bit of the white fabric to my face, and I don't know but it stilled smelled... like her. My mothers scent was not something I could easily forget, and somehow, traces of it still graced the white satin.

I didn't bother calling for a maid, I knew all were much to busy trying to restore some sort of semblance to the mess that was the castle. The Vikings were never known for their impeccable cleanliness.

Three minutes later I'm drowning in white fabric, tangled in the skirts what felt more like a tent then a garment people wear. Yes it was gorgeous, but it was nothing less then fit for a queen. A queen who would definitely have help putting it on. My face and shoulders were trapped in the bodice from trying to slip it over my head, all I could see was satin.

A knock at the door, and like an miracle from heaven, a voice called out. "Need any help your queenlieness?" It was that lumberjack girl. "Yes!" I cry in exasperation. "Do please coke in."

"Setting up a camp your highness?" I hear her chuckle but can't see her from behind the materials. "Haha yes, very funny." I try not to growl. "It looks like you forgot to uncinch the waist." I hear her say, she unties the corset strings and she manages to get the dress down onto my body.

"Whew..." I sigh. "Thank goodness that's over. " To which she let's out a sarcastic laugh. "Oh no... I've still have to tie it back up."

"Can you breathe?" She asks afterwards. "Yes, perfectly." I lie. "You look like a painting." She compliments. I look in the mirror, twirling just slightly. "Just like the one in the hall." My parents wedding portrait. That was the greatest compliment this girl could have given.

"Thank you for your assistance." I tell her. "Did you find your prince charming?" I ask, remembering her alternative motive for guiding Jack and I. I should have just cut her with a knife, her reaction would have been just the same. Her face fell and I immediately regretted the question.
"He... He didn't..." she trails off. "He chose her."

"I'm so, so sorry."