Fourteen

Once Olivia fell asleep that night, Elliot climbed out of bed and drove to his mother's house. He needed to address this now and hopefully get home before Olivia wakes up and finds him missing.

"So you knocked her up?" Bernie asked as soon as the door was opened.

"Ma." Elliot frowned, and Bernie shook her head.

"You chased that amazing wife of yours away, just because you wanted to sleep with your partner? That's bullshit." Bernie swore.

"Hey, I didn't chase Kathy away. She left because she wanted to. And for your information, Olivia got pregnant the night that I got served with divorce papers."

"I don't believe you, Elliot! Olivia is clearly a downgrade from Kathy, and she won't be a good mother to any of the kids. So I think you need to just end this now, before anything else gets out of hand. Okay?"

"I'm not ending my relationship with Liv, Ma. I'm falling in love with her, and we are having a baby together. If being in love with her isn't enough of a reason, my unborn son or daughter is a good reason. Now, stay away from us." Elliot frowned, before he turned on his heel and walked down the stairs.

"Are you really picking her over me?! Over your children?!" Bernie yelled, as she quickly followed behind her son.

"Ma, I'm picking Olivia over you. But the kids aren't up for discussion. She is helping me raise them, and you aren't. So please, either get over yourself and accept Olivia and my child, or don't ever come back around."

"That child is a bastard! Along with any other ones! You are sinning!" Bernie yelled at her son as he opened the door to Olivia's car.

"I got a divorce, two of my six children were conceived out of wedlock, and I'm sure I can list many other sins I have committed... but I don't care right now. I feel like God will still love me, just like he loves the baby that Olivia is growing."

///

Elliot got home and frowned when he saw his bedroom light was on. He went upstairs after locking up again, before going into his bedroom.

"Where'd you go?" Olivia asked softly from where she sat on the edge of the bed.

"I just needed some air. Why are you up? You were snoring when I left." Elliot frowned as he moved to the bed and sat beside Olivia.

"I was sleeping when you left, but when I rolled over to cuddle with you... you were gone." Olivia frowned.

"I'm sorry, babe. I went out and I was going to try to get back before you woke up, but clearly I was a little late."

"Did I say something to make you angry? I'm sorry if I did... I don't want to-"

"You didn't say a thing, Liv. My mother did, and I needed to deal with it before it blew out of proportion. And she won't be coming back around."

"El-"

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I can see what our baby is. So why don't I go and grab the envelope from the safe, and then you and I can see what our baby is." Elliot smiled.

"I feel bad that I'm the reason you and the kids won't have your mother around... I feel horrible that I helped you all lose one more incredibly important person." Olivia sniffled as tears burned her eyes.

"This isn't your fault, babe. It never will be. She is just crazy and thinks that what we have isn't real. But it is. I have loved you for years, and that love has just grown and matured since we got together. Now, do you want to find out tonight or tomorrow?"

"Are you sure? Because I'm nothing special. I think that you might be able to find someone who is like a devout Catholic... one who didn't sleep with you outside of marriage... one who hasn't slept with other guys. El, maybe-"

"I'd marry you right now if you'd let me. Trust me when I say that I want you more than anyone else on Earth, and I'm thankful that you are the one I get to be with."

Olivia nodded hesitantly, before standing and walking to the closet. She quickly punched in the code for their safe, before grabbing the envelope.

"El, are you sure that you-"

"I want to be with you, babe. Now, give me that. I should know what my sixth kid is gonna be." Elliot grinned. He quickly took the envelop from his girlfriend. He opened it quickly, before feeling as tears burned his eyes.

"So, what is our baby?"

"It's a girl." Elliot spoke softly, as he looked up the sonogram and at Olivia.

"I'm sorry..." Olivia whimpered.

"Why are you sorry?" Elliot asked quickly.

"I know you wanted a boy."

"Never apologize for the sex of our baby. She is going to be stunning, smart, and so much like you."

///

Olivia and Elliot were exhausted the next morning, especially since they stayed up later than usual to talk about Bernie and their baby girl.

"Cereal?" Dickie sighed once he walked into the kitchen. Usually his father and Olivia would wake up early enough to make breakfast, but today they were too tired to cook.

"Tomorrow I will make you something more special." Olivia yawned.

"Why are you so tired?" Maureen questioned as she walked over and grabbed a gallon of orange juice before grabbing a stack of cups for her siblings.

"We were up late talking." Elliot sighed as he sipped his third cup of coffee this morning.

"Sure, talking." Maureen teased.

"We were talking about your new baby sister." Elliot shot back.

"Baby sister?" Eli grinned.

"Yeah, a baby sister." Olivia smiled tiredly.

"So you guys could find out last night, but we couldn't until now?! That's really mean!" Kathleen huffed.

"Mean or not, we needed something good last night. And we need to talk about Gran."

"Is she okay? Is she sick?" Lizzie whimpered. The kids all loved their grandmother, so any serious conversation was scary.

"Gran is fine, sweetie. It's just that she isn't allowed around here right now."

"Why not?" Maureen asked softly.

"She's treating Liv like crap, and I'm not going to allow that to continue to happen. So if you want to hang out with her, it can't be here."

"Liv, are you okay?" Maureen asked, and Olivia nodded slowly as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"I'm fine, but I'm just so sorry that I'm the reason why you can't see your Gran anymore."

"I'd rather have you and my baby sister, Liv. So don't apologize." Maureen whispered.