Thirty-Three

Olivia was shocked that Kathy agreed to let her adopt the kids, so that night Olivia rushed home to tell all her kids.

"Babies! Can you come down please?!" Olivia called. She rushed into the kitchen and grabbed cups, because she had bought sparkling cider to celebrate with her kids.

"Mama? What's happening?" Eli asked, as he came racing into the kitchen first. Olivia smiled before walking over and hugging him tightly.

"I have amazing news."

"What news?" Maureen asked as her voice shaking. She was almost nervous about what her mother had to say because she hadn't seen her this happy and excited in a while.

"So I have been working with Trevor Langan on a big project, and I just finished the last step in it. Do you guys wanna know?" Olivia smiled as she passed out the glasses.

"Duh!" Kathleen exclaimed.

"I got permission to adopt you all."

"Adopt us?" Lizzie whispered, and Olivia nodded.

"If you guys want, in a few weeks we can change your last name to Benson and move on from the pain we have experienced lately." Olivia smiled as tears burned her eyes.

"Kathy and Elliot gave you permission?" Maureen sniffled, and Olivia nodded.

"Yeah, baby. You are going to be legally my kids before we all know it... is that okay?"

"It's more than okay, Mama! It's awesome!"

///

The next year of their lives was amazing. Kathy nor Elliot were around, so the house and their lives were drama free. Maureen had graduated and was now going to Columbia, the younger kids were doing great in school, Tallulah was now one, and Olivia had finally accepted life as a single mother to six very lively kids.

"I like being greeted this way!" Maureen grinned as she opened the front door and was quickly attacked by her baby sister.

"As soon as she heard your car door shut, she was hauling it to the door." Olivia smiled. She stood and took Maureen's bag from her so she could pick Tally up.

"I can't believe she's one." Maureen sighed as she snuggled her baby sister close.

"I can't believe it either. It doesn't seem like shit hit the fan about a year ago. But it did." Olivia frowned. She sank back down onto the couch and Maureen sank down beside her.

"Thanks for taking the best care of us over this year, Mama."

"I don't think I'd want to do anything else. I know that people give me weird looks when we are all out together, but at thirty-two, I never expected to be this happy and to have six kids."

"Being a mom really suits you... you are way better than the one we used to have." Maureen sighed before she smiled when Tally quickly turned her head and looked at the front door.

"I'm assuming that Kathleen and the kids are home?" Maureen asked, and Olivia nodded.

"Yup. She's like a dog, she can always hear when someone gets here."

///

They celebrated Tally's birthday that night before Maureen took the older kids out for a movie. Olivia was home alone, so she took the time to drink some wine and watch some TV. She was just about to shut the show off and go to do some laundry when someone showed up. She looked at the window and didn't recognize the car, so she went to the door and opened it. 

"Hey." Elliot breathed, and Olivia swallowed hard when she saw her ex. He was standing at the end of the walkway, and he looked beyond nervous.

"Hey, El. What are you doing here?" Olivia asked softly.

"I brought Tally a birthday gift, and I was just going to drop it off and run off..."

"She's sleeping, but if you'd like to come in, you can see her real quick."

"Really?" Elliot breathed, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"Of course. It's not like she'll remember." Olivia spoke softly.

Olivia led Elliot into the house before upstairs. He got to see his baby for the first time in almost a year, before they hesitantly headed downstairs together. 

"How are you doing?" Olivia asked, since she hadn't talked to Elliot since she got him to sign the kids over to her for good.

"I'm sober."

"That's great, El. You look a lot better than the last time I saw you."

"Well, between rehab, a stay in the looney bin, and some serious therapy I'm doing much better."

"What?" Olivia breathed.

"I was drunk and high most of the time, Liv. I got sober and then had a mental breakdown and tried to end my life... things were rough and I hate myself for pushing you and the kids away." Elliot sniffled as he raked his fingers through his hair.

"El, I'm so sorry." Olivia spoke, as tears threatened to spill down her cheeks.

"What happened isn't your fault. It's mine... but thank you so much for letting me see Tally. I have wondered what she looks like, and she's the spitting image of you." Elliot spoke with a shaky smile. He stood and wiped tears from his cheeks before moving to the front door.

He didn't even get the door open before Olivia was grabbing his arm. He turned to look at her, but was quickly attacked with a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of you, Elliot. And I hope that in the future you can be around for these kids..." Olivia whispered.

"I love you, Liv." Elliot breathed, as he wrapped his arms around Olivia tightly.

Olivia didn't respond for a moment before leaning back and looking up at him.

"I love you too." Olivia replied.  

Elliot was so surprised that Olivia had told him that, so he decided to try something else. He leaned down and pressed his lips firmly against Olivia's, and after a few moments, Olivia started to kiss him back.