Thirty-Four

Things between Elliot and Olivia got heated very fast. As Elliot undressed Olivia, it was like things finally hit Olivia. She realized what she was doing, and she quickly pushed Elliot away from her before something happened. Before one night of unprotected and unexpected sex led to Tally being a big sister.

"Hey, slow down." Olivia panted, as she leaned down and grabbed her shirt from the coffee table.

"What? I thought you wanted this." Elliot frowned, and Olivia nodded weakly as she tugged her shirt back on.

"I liked kissing you, El. But we haven't seen each other in about a year. I see that you are better and sober, which is amazing. But I can't be rushing into this. I don't want us to make love, and then find out we are going to be parents again... because it seemed like everything got so much worse once I ended up pregnant with Tally. She's a blessing, but what the situation did to our family... wasn't."

"I love you, Olivia. I hate myself for everything I did, and I pray that one day you can forgive me. Especially because I love you so much and feel like I can only die happy if I'm with you."

"You haven't been sober for that long, El. I don't want you to get bad again, because I can't take another heartbreak... so I'm going to ask you to leave. If you can get to a more stable place, then maybe we can try to be together again."

"Are you with someone else?" Elliot whispered, and Olivia shook her head.

"No, I'm not with anyone else. This guy... he stole my heart and has kept it even if we are no longer together." Olivia breathed, and Elliot forced a smile before stepping close and kissing Olivia deeply. When he stepped back, he rested his forehead against hers as tears slipped down his cheeks.

"I love you, Liv. I will be the best man possible to make sure I can get you and the kids back. I want to be around to watch Tally grow up, and I miss the older kids so much."

"You left a big mess, El. It's going to take you awhile to clean it up." Olivia breathed.

"I will do the work, Liv. I promise."

///

The kids got home not long after Elliot left. Olivia was still flustered, but she ended up forcing herself upstairs to hopefully sleep and relax.

"How are you already in bed?" Maureen teased when she came into her mother's room. Olivia rolled over and gave her daughter a weak smile.

"I have a lot on my plate, kiddo. I'm tired."

"Are you sure that is all? You look off." Maureen frowned as she shut the door behind her before heading to the bed. Olivia let out a small sigh before pushing herself up.

"Mo, I'm going to tell you something and you can't tell your siblings. You can't freak out either because it doesn't matter right now." Olivia spoke weakly.

"Okay? Are you seeing someone?" Maureen asked, and Olivia blushed a bit before shaking her head.

"Not really... but Mo, your father came by tonight."

"Of course he did. He can't stay the fuck away." Maureen huffed.

"Maureen-"

"Mom, he sucks. He's an ass." Maureen spat.

"Okay, kid, I know he was an ass and a complete monster a year ago. But he has changed. He's sober and in therapy."

"He was in therapy back then, but he was a jackass to you about it."

"He went to rehab for drug and alcohol abuse, then he went to a hospital after a mental breakdown. He's doing good now, my love. And tonight, we kissed. We probably would have gone further, but I stopped him. I don't want to commit to him, and then for him to just run away."

"Mom, don't do this. Don't get back together with him, because he won't stick around."

"I'm an adult, Maureen."

"Olivia-"

"Whoa! Watch yourself, Maureen!" Olivia exclaimed.

"Okay, I'm sorry. But-"

"No, Maureen. If I want to be with your father, I'm allowed to be. I gave him terms, and if he doesn't go through with those, then we will never have a chance to be together. Now, go to bed. And never call me Olivia again. I am your mother." Olivia spoke sharply.

///

The next morning, Olivia did her usual Sunday morning activities. She made a big breakfast and got all the kids up before they headed to church. Olivia never attended before, but after adopting the kids she wanted them to keep going so she decided to go with them too.

"Okay, can you five go and find a spot? I have to change Tally and then I'll join you." Olivia spoke, as she her kids stood in the lobby of their church.

"We will try to be closer to the back just in case Tallulah decides she needs multiple breaks today." Kathleen smiled, and Olivia nodded.

"Thanks. Now, go." Olivia spoke, before turning and heading back out to the van. 

Olivia finished changing Tally, before packing up to go back inside. She stopped, though when she saw Elliot watching her from the sidewalk.

"El?" Olivia asked weakly.

"Hey, Liv." Elliot smiled, as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'm confused... what are you doing here? You didn't know that we still went to church."

"This one is the closest to my apartment... I was just as shocked as you were." Elliot replied.

"The kids are inside, El. I don't think that you should go in with me..."

"Why? Do you think the kids think we did something out here before everything started?" Elliot teased, and Olivia smiled gently before walking over to him.

"Maureen already hates us, so I wouldn't be surprised. But until that actually happens, you and I need to get inside. But you can't sit with us."

"I wish I could, but I made a promise to you. I'd do anything to make things right with our kids, so that one day you and I can get back together. So we can finally get married, have another kid or two, and grow old together. I won't break that promise."