Forty-One

Once Olivia and Elliot had their heart-to-heart, Elliot fell asleep and Olivia went to do some chores around the house. When the kids all got home, Elliot still was sleeping, and the kids were anxious to hear about how their father was.

"How's Daddy?" Eli asked, as he helped his mother make dinner. Olivia finished tying her apron on before smiling at her son.

"I think that Daddy is doing much better than before. He may still have his bad days, but we will help him make it through those." Olivia smiled. She ruffled Eli's curls, before they started to prep dinner.

Olivia was just starting to cook the pasta for dinner when she heard her boyfriend yawn loudly from the living room. 

"Is that Daddy?" Eli asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, it is. You should go-" Olivia didn't even get to finish her statement before Eli was running from the kitchen to see his father.

There was a lot of noise, and then after a while, Elliot carried his youngest son into the kitchen.

"Mama, Daddy said that he slept well and wants to play with me later!" Eli exclaimed.

"That is great news, baby. But why don't you go and get the twins." Olivia smiled.

"But-"

"Elliot Joseph Benson, don't even start. Now, go and grab the twins and have them set the table with you. If you are a good boy, then later you can play something with Daddy." Olivia spoke.

Elliot walked over to Olivia once Eli was out of the room, and he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"You didn't stay too long in bed with me." Elliot frowned before kissing the back of Olivia's head.

"I had stuff to do." Olivia replied softly.

"I don't care if you had stuff to do. All I wanted to do was hold you for hours, especially because I haven't held you in months." Elliot spoke.

Olivia turned around slowly before looking at Elliot. She leaned in slowly and kissed him, before leaning back and smiling.

"Stabler, no more 'holding' me for a while. Also, you aren't out of the woods with the kids. I think that until you and the kids can sit down and talk, that you and I won't be doing more than kissing and sleeping beside each other. Got it?"

"Got it, baby."

///

The kids talked about school and after-school activities during dinner, which took the pressure off of their father. But once dinner was done, Elliot had to talk since he was forced into dishes duty.

"So how was the hospital?" Kathleen asked nervously, as she washed dishes before passing them to her father to rinse and dry.

"Well, it smelt like bleach all the time." Elliot replied as he looked over at his daughter.

"Dad-"

"I know that you didn't mean it like that. But it was good for me. The first few weeks were scary, especially since I was on lockdown. I wasn't allowed to be in contact with anyone on the outside, and all I could think about was you and the others... and your mother."

"Mama or Kathy?" Kathleen asked, and Elliot sighed softly as he gave his daughter a jab into her side.

"Obviously your Mama." Elliot laughed.

"I know that she missed you." Kathleen spoke, and Elliot nodded.

"I missed her too. I feel horrible about everything that has happened, and all I could think about was how if I had succeeded in taking my own life... I was in a super bad place at first. But I'm doing better now." Elliot breathed. His eyes were brimming with tears as he thought about how absolutely low he had been.

"Dad, I'd like to apologize for being mean to you. You hurt us all... but I was bitter. I should have just made up with you before everything went to hell." Kathleen sighed.

"Katie bug, don't apologize for it. I deserved all the hate and angry, and I pray that it's all subsided so we can get back on track. I have plans.. and I'd love to actually keep them."

Kathleen smiled at her father before nodding. She wiped her hands off on a towel before turning into her father and hugging him tightly.

"I love you, Dad. I'm so glad you are back home with us... and seeing Mama really smile also helps a ton."

///

Elliot played cars with Eli, gave Tally a bath, and then he did the nightly rounds with Olivia. But instead of climbing into bed with Olivia for the first night in forever, he ended up going downstairs and finding Maureen. She was outside in the freezing cold, but that didn't stop Elliot from going out there to talk.

"You are just as crazy as your Mama. Always sitting out in the bad weather." Elliot spoke, as he kept his hands shoved into his jacket pockets.

"Eh, I don't mind being like her. When I look in the mirror and see blonde hair and blue eyes, I wish that I saw brown hair and brown eyes... then I wouldn't be thinking about Kathy." Maureen sighed. She scooted over on the steps, before patting beside her. 

Elliot sank down beside his daughter, before wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close.

"I'd like to apologize, Mo. For you walking in on me at my lowest. I hate that you almost witnessed something that would have scarred you for life." Elliot whispered.

"You may still be alive, but I'm still scarred. I still wake up in the middle of the night because I dream about that night. Especially that lost look you had on your face... it was like your eyes were staring into the abyss." Maureen spoke weakly.

"Mo-"

"Dad, I love you and I'm glad that you are doing better. I just worry that things won't be this good forever. That maybe in the future... You won't be lucky. Like maybe I will get stuck in traffic and won't be able to save you again."