Chapter 9

Who's ready for some DMCing?

Songs to listen to while reading:

Liability – Lorde

The broken hearts club – gnash

Bad Things – Machine Gun Kelly (this song is quiet important so please listen to it, I'll tell you when ;) )

I've been tossing and turning all night. I feel like I've been in that stage where you're just about to fall asleep but don't, all night. It's just been one of those nights where I can't switch my brain off and it's annoying me now. And when I can't sleep, then I start thinking about my past. I throw the quilt off of my body in anger when his face flashes into my mind. I won't let myself think about that. Maybe I'll just go downstairs and make myself a green tea. That might help me sleep and get my mind off of everything, hopefully. I love my sleep but my anxious brain takes over my body sometimes.

I climb out of bed and walk as quietly as possible down the corridor, I don't want to wake Harry up. His bedroom door is closed, he must be asleep. I've never been into Harry's bedroom; I've never needed to go in there so I just haven't. I'm not much of a snooper, or else maybe I would have snuck in there by now but I value my own privacy dearly so I would never invade someone else's. Although he did sort of invade my privacy when he kidnapped me... just a little bit.

I reach the bottom of the stairs and begin walking through the lounge area, rubbing one of my eyes with my fist out of tiredness.

"Hey." A voice sounds through the darkness, near the seating area. I jump and stumble backwards out of fright. I can't see who it is but the cackle that follows tells me exactly who is the culprit.

"You seriously need to stop scaring me Harry!" I whisper yell, walking towards the wall that has the light switch on. I flick the switch and the lounge area lights up. My eyes fall on Harry who is sat in the seating area with his legs resting one over the other, straight in front of him and his arms stretched along the back of the couch. He cringes from the invasion of the lights.

"I promise I didn't mean to this time, you don't have to whisper, there's no one else in the house... that I know of." Harry replies, with a cocky smirk on his face.

I take a seat across from him in the seating area. "What are you doing up?" I ask him, lifting my knees up to my chest to a hugging position.

"Can't sleep sometimes, I think too much." He replies. "And you?"

"I'm the same actually..." I trail off, picking at a string on my leggings to avoid eye contact.

"What do you think about?" He asks. It's not something I could ever talk to him about, it's too personal.

"Just some stuff that happened in my past most of the time, other times I just overthink stuff." I reveal. I can't tell Harry about the incident, I've never even spoken about it since I left San Francisco. "You?"

"Think about my past a lot too, a lot of shit happened." He explains, sparking my interest.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Well I had a fucked up childhood but I'll save you the details..." He mutters.

I decide to take the opportunity to see if Harry will answer some of the questions that I've thought a lot about. "Why did you join this gang? I just mean like... what made you want to do it?"

Harry takes a deep breathe, as if preparing to explain. "My childhood, like I said, was fucked up. A lot of shit happened to me and I did a lot of shit too. Made a lot of mistakes that I pay for every day. I guess I just decided that I would never be able to do anything else so why not? It was my last option Lexi." He shrugs his shoulders. I wonder what he went through when he was a child that made him decide that joining a gang was his last option.