Chapter 26

Songs to listen to while reading:

Lost Without You – Freya Ridings

The Night We Met – Lord Huron

Harry's perspective.

I pull into the garage and put the car into park, resting my head on the head rest while closing my eyes. It's been a long day and I haven't been able to stop thinking about what happened last night with Lexi.

What happens now? Does she regret what happened? Because I know I don't... I need to talk to her.

I climb out of the car, closing the door behind me and locking my car. I enter the house through the garage door, walking in quietly in case Lexi is asleep. It is one in the morning, so she's most likely asleep.

I take my time, unlacing my boots as I sit balancing on the edge of the couch.

"Shut up!"

Someone's here, in my house. I lift my head to listen closer and furrow my eyebrows in confusion, who the fuck is here? Because that definitely wasn't Lexi.

The sound of my Lexi crying snaps me out of my confusion. My body reacts automatically as I walk as fast as I can into the kitchen, opening the draw that holds some of my guns. I ignore the trembling in my hands as I grab the pistol, loading it as I make my way out of the kitchen.

I look around to see how they would have gotten in, there isn't a sign that they broke in. No windows are broken, how did they get in? All the doors lock after a certain time and you need to put a passcode in to open them. This is weird...

Why am I shaking? I'm always confident with shit like this.

She can't get hurt, she can't.

Whoever made my Lexi cry will pay. If they have laid even a finger on her, there will be blood to pay. I clench my jaw and take a deep breath; I need to think rationally or I'll make a stupid decision. I stalk my way up the stairs with the gun pointed, leading my way. I hope I can catch whoever it is off guard. Adrenaline courses through my body the closer I get to where Lexi is.

I walk as silently as possible with my back gliding against the corridor wall, following the sound of the voices. I reach Lexi's room, swinging round with my gun raised and my finger ready on the trigger as I analyse the situation in front of me.

Things seem to move in slow motion after that. Lexi is on her knees, eyes closed and a small smile on her face as tears fall down her cheeks. There are two men standing in front of her, one of them has a gun pointed at her head, ready to shoot her.

A bullet flies 2,600 feet per second, it's a split-second decision that is irreversible.

Thankfully, I'm faster.

I pull the trigger before he does. My bullet flies into the back of the skull of the man pointing the gun at Lexi before he could pull the trigger of his own gun. His body collapses to the ground with a gaping hole where the bullet travelled, dark blood gushing out of the hole almost immediately like a volcano.

My instincts and training take over as I stride towards the second man who is in shock, staring at his dead friend on the ground as the blood begins to pool around his head. I swing my elbow up with force, hitting him in the jaw hard enough for him to collapse out cold to the ground from the brutal hit.

I walk over to where Lexi is kneeling still with her eyes closed. Her whole body is trembling, she's in shock. This is the first moment I've taken to really take in her appearance. She has a black eye forming, her lip is split with blood dripping from the cut, her face is a mess.