Extra: Growing Pains

"Why can't you just listen to what I have to say?"

"It's embarrassing mom and I don't want to talk about it anymore!" Elena screamed, slamming the bathroom door shut.

Toni sighed and ran her hand through her hair. She remembers when she first started her period too and she flipped out. Elena, on the other hand, was so mad and Toni couldn't understand why. Darren was going to be home in the next hour and she was sure he wouldn't be ready for this. Not at all. The thirteen year old was already the little princess he hoped she'd be but this new stage in her life was going to be the bomb that'd erupt his heart.

"I can try talking to her," Rory offered, walking up behind Toni. Micah was a shy boy, hiding behind his mother when Elena was upset. He quickly looked at Rory and nodded, anything to help his sister.

"You can try," Toni murmured, softly stroking Micah's hair. "Come on, baby boy, help me get lunch ready." Although he was twelve he didn't object to the endearment and followed his mother down the steps.

Rory stayed and took a breath before soflty knocking on the door. "Lena?"

"Go away, Rory."

"I just want to talk to you."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore!"

"I wasn't even gonna talk about that. Not yours. I'm not gonna badger you with advice or anyting."

There was a pause before the lock clicked and the door opened. Elena left back to sit on the toilet lid and watched as Rory walked in, closed the door, and smiled.

Rory was a new person. Ever since she faced her faults a few months ago, she's become more talkative and even the go-to sister. She was the new older sibling of the house-being all of seventeen now-since Joseph left to UCLA last week. She tried to up her smile but knowing he's gone and Leo will be leaving to SDSU the next week was hard for her.

"What were you gonna tell me?"

"Just about the time I started mine. I'm sure it'll make you feel so much better about your situation. If you wanna ask questions after, then by all means do it but for now just listen." She walked over to the tub and sat on the edge of it.

"I was your age and right in the middle of class I felt like I peed myself."

Elena'a eyes widened as she listened.

"It felt warm and gross and I was so ashamed of myself. I was so glad to have brought my jacket to tie around my waist and hide it. I asked to use the bathroom and when I got inside the stall...I fainted."

Elena tried to hide her laugh but a slight chuckle escaped her. "Fainted?"

"Yep, my teacher came looking for me and found me that way, helped me to the nurse and called dad."

"Dad?" she shrieked.

"Yes...Dad," she groaned. "Mom had some book signing for her second book and was across the state. Dad came and he looked more flustered than I did. He tried talking to me about it but it was useless. I got ahold of mom on the phone and talked to her about it. She said it was normal and as long as I knew how to regulate it I'd be fine. She told me all the tips and tricks so after I got off the phone with her I felt more secure about it."

"Uh...W-what did she say?"

There it was...the advice column of Rory's repertoire.

***

"I'll be back Thanksgiving break."

"That's four months away," she whined, clinging onto his neck. Leo leaned down and connected their lips, savoring every last second of it.