CH 8: The New Things

Play the song to the right when it says to.   

School started again and that meant practice. Toni and Luna ran together around the track, breathily talking to each other about how running was ridiculous.

When they were done the team gathered on the field and set up to stretch.

Luna bumped Toni's shoulder and nodded toward the bleachers. "The guys are here."

Toni looked to see that nearly the entire basketball team was there watching them. Some girls already knew they were there, showing off their stretching. "Whores trying to get my mans attention," Luna grumbled. "You're crazy," Toni chuckled, "you know Jeremy isn't worried about them." "Uh-huh and what about you and Darren?" "What about me and Darren?" Toni innocently asked, trying her best to hide her red cheeks.

"I know you guys are messing around."

"Yeah, only because I told you," Toni stuck her tongue out.

"Oh no, don't think I didn't notice that goofy ass smile on your face after you came back from 'a friends place'. Now tell me where you really went."

"That's none of your business."

"Uh, yes it is when Darren told Jeremy and Jeremy told me. Why didn't you tell me Toni?"

"I...I didn't want you giving me your motherly advice about it."

"We all know I was gonna give it to you anyway and Toni...if you're happy and sure then I'm happy for you."

She bit her lip and shyly smiled at her friend, "I am happy," she breathed out. "Then I'm glad! Now tell me what happened, todo lo que paso'."

Toni went on and told her about going to Wilmington with Darren. She told her about the next day and how she spent her birthday with him. She then told her about what he got her for her birthday. She was surprised to hear all that they did together and even begged to see the necklace that he got for her.

She had to take my sweat shirt off to show her. She still adored the dove pendant and by the look on her face, she approved too.

Most of them were already in their practice attire, which was black sports bra and red soffee shorts for girls and black t's with red gym shorts for guys. Those who were wearing their sweat jackets soon took them off because they were getting ready for their exhausting routine for Friday.

"Listen up!" Lyci yelled, getting everyone's attention with her high voice. "We're doing this routine once but only once if you do it perfectly and Dana, Toni, Nicolaa, and Remy all fly and do their bow and arrows."

"What?" Toni shrieked. She wasn't a flyer and it practically was a fear of hers. 

She did that on purpose! Toni thought. She practically grabbed all the girl bases and made them fly.

"Th-this isn't a permanent thing right?" Remy stammered. "No, but you're all short enough and well flexible enough to be up there. Quick break and when we come back we'll try it."

Luna ran up to Toni, who was pulling out her pony tail to run her fingers through her hair, and shook her. "You're gonna fly!"

"That's not a good thing! I'm terrified of them dropping me!" "Let me see your bow and arrow."

Toni had all the flyer capability but was too scared to let anyone actually toss her in the air. She did her bow and arrow but couldn't imagine herself balancing in the air with it.

"You're perfect!" "Yeah whatever." "Come to the bleachers with me, Jeremy has a water for me."

Luna rode on Toni's back all the way to the bleachers and she climbed us up the steps toward Jeremy. "Okay get off, you're choking me," Toni strained, bucking Luna off of her. Luna giggled and took the water from Jeremy, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you."