CH 22: A Valentine Love

Toni smoothed down her dress for what felt like the hundredth time and breathed out a nervous breath. Tonight was her night. The kids were with her parents and she had the house all cleaned up. It concerned her that her mom was watching her kids on such a romantic day but after having a long talk with her, Toni learned that her mom loved John but was never in love with him. Not like Dominic.

Her cell started to ring and she rushed to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hey...what's wrong?" Darren asked.

"Oh," she breathed out, "I thought you were my mom. She has the kids and I was just worried-"

"Calm down," he chuckled, "you're rambling. I'm sure they're fine."

"I'm just...I don't know, worried? Rory isn't herself."

"I know but your mom is just that...a mom. She'll know what to do."

"You better be right," Toni grumbled, making him laugh.

"I am right. Give me another ten minutes. This rental car place messed up my arrival time and a bunch of other bullshit. Anyway, I'll be there soon."

"Ok but...I...uh...have a surprise for you. Hurry up."

"Oh, is it one of those surprises," he teased.

She nervously laughed, "You could say that."

Once they hung up Toni checked the food. She had pesto lasagna in the crock pot and it needed to be done in the next thirty minutes or it would be a waste.

Between online classes and finding time to write on her own, she was crunched.

She groaned when Goggles yipped. The dog was a little over nine months and was another responsibility added to her list. The past few hours were spent cooking and feeding him. She made sure Joseph tired him out earlier so the pup could sleep easily. She kenneled him nearly half an hour ago and it seemed that he was wide awake again. She gave it a few minutes and it was quiet again. She sighed and leaned onto the counter towards the crock pot.

She was increasing the temperature when she felt arms wrap around her waist. She yelped and turned to see Darren with a struggled grin that told her he was trying to keep in his laughter. 

"Darren!" she scolded, slapping him on the shoulder. She forgot he had a key.

"Four hours on a plane and I get a slap? Where's my kiss?"

"Whatever," she giggled, "Come here." She pulled him down by the collar of his shirt and connected their lips. He groaned and started to grope on her. She smiled against his lips and gently pushed him away. "Don't get too carried away. We have food to eat."

"The food's not going anywhere."

"And neither is the sex. Now go sit down," she said with a teasing smile.

Toni set out plates with lasagna on it and poured glasses of water. Darren got wine glasses and poured a glass.

"Do you want some?"

She bit nervously at her lip and stammered out, "Oh...Uh...No, I-I'm fine."

"But you love this stuff."

"Maybe a small glass." Dr. Sulley said a few small glasses spaced out through her pregnancy were fine.

Once they were sat and started eating Darren started laughing.

Toni cocked her eyebrow at him, "What?"

"You know, I've just noticed, we've never had a date."

"We've had plenty of dates."