CH 19: The Fifth Year (part three)

For those who are a bit confused...

This last part of the fifth year will be from Rory's birthday in June to Joseph's birthday in January.

It was tense and Toni was in the middle of all of it. 

She couldn't deny that Kyle visits his daughter on her birthday, but it was a bit stressful having Darren there too...under Rory's commands of course.

Toni didn't want Kyle to come to the place where she lived and potentially harass her, but it was entirely too hot for another location.

Darren had gotten there early that day to help with decorations. He even made Rory her birthday breakfast. Toni made her a cake and they both put icing and sprinkles on it. She got her little princess dressed in her yellow and pink outfit and painted her little toes and fingers.

Now that it was four o'clock and Rory had woken up from her nap, Toni had to gulp down her nerves.

The knock on the door made Toni jump. She quickly recovered, smoothed down her dress and went to answer it.

She breathed out a sigh of relief when it was her mother.

Both Joseph and Rory said "Mimi!" before Toni could even get out a "Hello".

Kelsey knew that Rory wasn't her grandchild by blood, but the little girl grew on her. "I brought you a present," she enthusiastically told the three-year-old. "What you get me?!" she shrieked.

"You'll have to wait and see," Toni said, taking the gift bag from her mothers hand. "Thanks mom."

She closed the door and led her to the kitchen where Darren had just got off the phone with the pizza place.

"Hello Darren," Kelsey greeted, holding out her hand. "It's nice seeing you again Kelsey," he smiled, taking her hand in greeting.

"How are things going for you?" she asked.

"Um...they're going alright." He glanced at Toni who was getting the plates from the cabinet and then back at Kelsey, "They could be better."

That was earlier. When everyone was chatting and getting along. Now...Kyle was here. 

He came baring gifts and a smug smile on his stupid face.

Toni quietly welcomed him into her home and watched as he looked around, nodding in approval.

"It's nice," he said.

"Thanks."

"My parents said they were busy and they wouldn't be able to make it."

Toni discretely rolled her eyes. She knew that the parents were being bitter about their divorce. They were even more bitter in learning that Toni and Kyle never had a child in their marriage. Just products of lies and adultery.

Those were their exact words and that hurt.

Kyle trailed behind her to the kitchen where everyone else was and the room went quiet.

All eyes were on Kyle and Toni for a good half a minute. Kelsey was the first to turn away with a roll to the eyes and Darren was next with a head shake. Joseph looked down at his lap while Rory had a small smile on her face.

After that night, Rory thought her daddy didn't love her anymore. He thought that because he hurt her he didn't want her. Now that she sees him here on her birthday, it gave her hope.

"Daddy," she softly said, getting out of her seat and running to him. He kneeled down and hugged his daughter. "Happy Birthday Aurora."

"Thank you," she whispered. She pulled away and looked at him in his blue eyes that were the same as hers.