CH 2: Cheer Shorts

No, Toni wasn't the cliché cheerleader who was the flyer in her stunt or captian of the cheer team. She was lucky enough to be a little taller than her flyer but still short for a base, standing at a less than average 5'6. Tall but short enough. Whatever, it was cheer terminology.

The cheer captian, Lyci, had them working out and working on their stunts forever and Toni's arms were sore but firm. No one wanted to admit it but Lyci was a bitch. She had the team doing the craziest things to keep in shape and had Toni questioning why she tried out for the team in the first place.

"Listen up guys!" she yelled just after the team finished their two mile run.
"I'm about to pass out," Nicolaa wheezed.

"We have a game on Friday so as soon as you get yourselves together we're going to go over our routine" Lyci announced.

There were groans all around. Not many people looked forward to basketball games, except for Luna, because of Jeremy, and easy girls who met up with the guys, win or lose. Toni was now looking forward to the game as well. She had a person to watch and teasingly judge for her own benfit. Darren.

Everyone groaned before getting into their places.

After thirty minutes of working on the routine Lyci dismissed practice because they were all being lazy. Luna met up with Toni and both of them went to grab their bags.

"What does she expect? It's cold as hell out here and she wants us to stunt perfectly. Fuck that." Luna always complained after every practice and Toni always found herself laughing at her. "You said cold as hell," Toni laughed. "And?" "Well, hell is hot so..." "Shut up Toni!" Luna hated when Toni corrected her. It made her feel less confident about her English, but she wouldn't tell Toni that.

"So I'm heading to the gym to watch Jeremy practice and after we're going to grab a bite to eat. You wanna come?" Toni was starved after that vigourus work out but didn't want to be a third wheel. She surprised herself by immediately thinking about Darren. "Is Darren gonna be there?" she asked. A sly smirk spread across Luna's face, "I dunno, do you want him to be?" "Yeah, he's a nice guy and I wouldn't min-...hey, I just didn't want to be an outsider. Don't look at me like that" Toni soon corrected herself once she found out the nature of Luna's question.

"Whatever you say" she smiled, "So is that a yes?" These days Toni couldn't find herself saying no.

The gym was warm and loud. The squeaking of sneakers against the court and guys calling things echoed throughout the place. Luna lead the way to the bleachers and both girls sat their bags down next to them. Jeremy turned his head and waved at them receiving a small nod back from Toni , but Luna...

Toni was embarrassed to be seated next to her.

"Hey Jeremy baby! Te amo!"

Jeremy's green eyes lightened with the love he had for Luna and his cheeks tinged with her endearment. He swore he was in love with her. She's been there for him since freshman year of highschool when they first met. They were good friends along with Darren until he got the balls to ask her out sophmore year. They went on numerous dates and shared every first together. First relationship, first kiss, first time, but they waited 'til the night of junior prom for that. Just the thought of her made him happy...and distracted.

Just the perfect distraction for Darren to speed by him and steal the ball, making a basket. Jeremy snapped out of it and took his place.

"Marks! Get your head out of your ass and play some defense!" Coach Lenn barked at Jeremy. "Yeah, Jeremy baby," Darren mocked as he playfully shoved his best friend. "I love you too" Darren called to Luna in the bleachers who sent him the finger. "Lo siento mi amor," she gushed to Jeremy. He sent her a quick wink before chasing after the ball again.