CH 14: It's Time

I've been really busy with Finals so I haven't been able to update but they're finally over tomorrow so no more worries!...hopefully

"Thank you for coming," Toni softly said, greeting her mom at the door.

"Oh your welcome, honey. You know I love helping you and we both know you're a little challenged in the kitchen."

She softly laughed as she rolled my eyes, not wanting to admit that my mother was right. Since she's been married to Kyle, he has demanded food every night when he comes home. And since she couldn't cook her mother has been teaching her all sorts of meals. Most of them are Latin American, and Toni found that odd since her mom doesn't have a Latin bone in her body, but Kyle doesn't seem to mind.

"Now, we're gonna make enchiladas, okay? You bought the ingredients I told you to?" "Yes." "Great, now wash your hands so we can spread this lard."

Toni shuddered at the thought of touching that mess.

Even though she was having some troubles staying on her feet and her belly was bumping into everything, they still managed to finish the meal in time for Kyle to come home.

"How'd you learn how to cook like this?"

 "Well," Kelsey sighed, "this boy thought that if we were gonna build a life together that I should cook food like his mother."

Kelsey felt the heat rise on her cheeks as she spoke about him. 

Toni cocked an eyebrow, "Who?" She never talked about her dad that way.

She shook her head and forced a small smile, "Just this guy I knew around the neighborhood when I was a kid."

"And you two...dated?" Kelsey softly laughed at her daughters confusion and slight awed expression on her face. 

"Yes, we did. Just for a short time but...but he's the love of my life."

"Is? Mom, what about dad?"

"I haven't seen him in over twenty years and I love your father. You just..." she huffed an angry breath, "You shouldn't have asked?!" she snapped. Kelsey took another deep breath, "I'm sorry. I...It's just been a while since I've talked about it."

"What happened?" Toni kept prying. Kelsey waved a dismissive hand, shaking her head. "Nothing. I should get going. I know Kyle will be here soon and your father has to eat too."

"Okay."

She gave Toni a kiss on the cheek and rubbed over her belly before leaving. 

Kyle came home less than ten minutes later and she greeted him with a kiss before having him follow her into the kitchen. 

Some days before he would eat he would hug her and tell her she was loved. Although the moments were very rare and left her wondering what happened to him, she still cherished them. 

And although Kyle abused her, verbally, physically, and sometimes sexually, some crazy and desperate part of her loved him.

Today was one of those days and when he hugged her, her bulging belly in between them, he forced Toni to inhale his scent. More like her scent.

No doubt, for months, Kyle has been cheating on her. When she first found out she felt nothing and thought it was another reason tacked on her list to tell her daddy about a divorce.

Now that she's due in less than a month she can't just put the baby through all of the drama. She doesn't want him to see a divorce or another fight. Her little boy deserves so much better.

She's been glad that, these days, Kyle hasn't hit her.

"How was your day?" she asked. "Long and tiring." "How was Raquel?" she snarkily said as she stepped away from him. He sighed with a slight groan and ran a hand down his face,  "You know I wasn't with her."