CH 18: The Fifth Year (part two)

Toni is stressed. So stressed.

The past two months have been hectic. The courtroom isn't a place for little ol Toni.

She filed for a divorce nearly a month ago and the judge said it would be another month before it would be final. In the midst of that, Rory's birthday is in a little less than a month.

Right now, she is in a small room with her attorney, Kyle, and his attorney.

"No. Mr. Anderson wants full custody of Aurora."

Toni's eyes widened and she glared at Kyle. "No, he doesn't," she seethed.

"In fact, I do. I could file a kidnapping report since you've had my daughter for the past month but I'm trying to be fair."

"Fair? That little girl cringes at the sound of your name. What makes you think she'll want to live with you."

"She's my daughter, not yours."

"Now," Toni's attorney interrupted, "my client has already filed her reasons for this separation. Which are: Adultery, Abandonment and Substance Abuse. The substance abuse does in fact danger the child."

"Mr. Anderson has agreed to start a rehab program for the next two months and once he is released he will have custody of his daughter."

Toni was floored. She knew she had to do something regarding Rory to win her back. The only thing she didn't file on that paper was Cruelty. It was all because she was too frightened to tell anyone.

But this was Aurora they were talking about.

A child.

"I..." she began to speak but went through her bag instead to pull out some pictures.

She had plenty to prove the damage Kyle did to her body. 

She slid them across the table to Kyle's attorney and avoided Kyle's dark gaze.

"Domestic violence is dangerous for the child and against the law," Toni's attorney said once Toni gave her a copy of the photos.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Uh...Th-the ni-"

"She doesn't have to answer that," her attorney snapped. "Ms. Allen will have full custody of Aurora while yours will only have visitation in her presence," she said proudly, "and the judge will agree."

Four and a half years...

Toni got a call from Darren a few days ago and he told her that he'd come by the next week.

Toni was...excited.

Mostly because she really wanted to see him. The late phone calls may have been quick and normal, but he made her feel better about her situation.

Her divorce is rough but will eventually be final in a week. That made her dad all the more furious. No matter how many times she tried to explain to him that it was best, he never accepted it. She didn't tell him that he beat her just because she thought it wouldn't change anything.

And even though her mom didn't say anything about the divorce, she knew her mom was happy by the twinkle in her blue eyes.

Now as she looked in the mirror she sees her dimples again and a shine in her eyes.

She fixed her tank top and left out of the bathroom and into the living room. 

"What do you guys want for dinner?" 

"Mac and cheese!" they both said with wide grins on their faces. "We had that yesterday." "We want it again!"

"Okay, okay. Pushy," she laughed, walking into the kitchen.