CH 23: A 'Yes' Would Suffice

"Never have I ever.... Hmm."

"Hurry up."

"Shut up. Never have I ever been pregnant three times," she smiled.

"That's the worst one yet!" he exclaimed.

"Baby, I'm bored and tired. Can we just go home?"

Toni and Darren have been waiting half an hour for the appointment. Toni couldn't even blame the staff because it was all Darren's fault. He was so anxious that he dragged her there nearly an hour early.

"We're already here."

Toni rolled her eyes, "The things I do for you."

"But you love me anyways," he grinned.

"Sadly," she teased.

A lady walked in with a little carrier holding an even smaller baby. Toni was happy to see the newborn just because she missed when Joseph was that small. She barely had a bump, but she couldn't wait to see her little one. Darren was ten times more elated.

"How old is he?" Toni asked, guessing it was a boy by the blue blanket.

"Two weeks."

"He's so cute. Looks just like you." Of course, the baby looked like a potato--a cute potato--but every parent would want to hear that their baby looked like them.

"Thank you. And I'm guessing you're pregnant. How many months?"

"Three."

"I bet the morning sickness has hit you hard," the woman lightly laughed.

"I actually haven't had any yet."

"Well, you're lucky. My fiancé had to hold my hair back the first month of my pregnancy. Is this your first?"

Toni shook her head, "My second."

"Rivera," a lady called from across the waiting room.

"It was nice talking to you," Toni smiled to the woman with the baby.

"You too."

Toni and Darren made their way to the office, being led by the nurse, and were seated to wait for the doctor.

"Um...on my paper, it says Rivera? It should say Allen," she asked the nurse before she could leave.

"Might as well be Rivera," she heard Darren mumble. She ignored his statement and continued to look at the nurse, trying to battle the blush that traveled up her neck and face.

"Sorry about that. We had your husband here fill out the form before the appointment. If you'd like to change them we can get that fixed right away."

Toni sighed and decided to leave it alone.

The nurse left and Toni looked at Darren. "You have to stop doing that."

"Doing what?" he asked, as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"It was cute when it was Starbucks cups but now this is ridiculous."

"How?"

"We're at a doctors office, Darren."

"The baby will have my last name so you might as well have it to."

A frown dropped onto Toni's face and she looked down at her lap. "You haven't even asked me" she murmured. Just as Darren was going to say something else the doctor came into the room.

"Good afternoon, you two."

"Hi Dr. Sully," Toni said, plastering on a smile for her long-time doctor. "Nice to see you again."