ϟ49: ANOTHER SUMMER WITH THE POTTERS (PART II)ϟ

Double update!

"Mr Ollivander, how long do you think we'll be stuck here? Do they give us any news of the Wizarding World at all?"

Luna was fiddling with the nail in her hands, feeling utterly bored. The cellar was icy cold, and Luna was still wearing her Hogwarts robes. She had given her cloak to Ollivander since the frail man had been shivering uncontrollably. Hugging herself and trying to warm up her hands, she looked at Ollivander in the dim light of the cellar.

"I'm afraid I don't know that, Luna," he said tiredly, gripping the cloak around him tightly. "I've been here for about... a year and a half?" he ended questioningly, no doubt losing track of time. "In all those months they never bothered to give me any news."

Luna stifled a sigh. Even though Luna knew she should be thankful that her predicament wasn't as bad as the students at Hogwarts, but she couldn't help but feel vulnerable out here. 

Before Luna could ask Ollivander any more questions, there were distant echoing thuds, as though someone was coming to the cellar. Luna stilled, and Ollivander opened his eyes.

"Someone's coming," Luna breathed, and she felt her heart sink a little. What if they were bringing news about her father's death? What if he had been murdered by the Death Eaters in an attempt to save her?

The steps were louder and seemed closer, but Luna was slightly surprised. The steps weren't the usual stomping of the feet. It wasn't filled with dominance, arrogance or danger. Rather, these steps were more subdued.

The door rattled several times, and a feminine voice called out, "Stay away from the door!"

Luna widened her eyes—it was Narcissa Malfoy.

After several moments, Narcissa opened the door. She held her wand pointed towards Luna and Ollvander, and the bright light of the wand made both prisoners flinch. After they had gotten used to the bright light in the dim cellar, Ollivander and Luna focused their gaze on the Mistress of the Malfoy Manor.

"Here," she said stiffly, placing two plates on the ground. She carefully crouched as she kept the plates on the ground, and got up swiftly, still pointing her wand at them.

Luna was pleasantly shocked when she saw there was more food than usual. In fact, Luna was quite certain she wouldn't be hungry until the next day—which would be a good change.

Narcissa Malfoy shifted her gaze from the prisoners to their hands—she noticed the ropes were untied. However, she didn't comment on it, and merely pursed her lips together when Luna snatched the plates from the ground and offered one to Ollivander.

"Thank you Mrs Malfoy," Luna said sincerely, looking at the woman. Her posture seemed resigned, and her eyes were tired. She no more resembled the confident, regal, proud woman of the aristocratic family. Now, she just resembled any other woman going through war and difficulties. A seemingly independent woman with invisible ropes of prejudice and legacy binding her tightly.

Narcissa Malfoy looked coldly at her, and said, "Do not expect any more kindness, Miss Lovegood. I shall not jeopardize the safety of my family just to help you have healthy meals."

Luna smiled slightly. "Oh, but you just did."

The woman stiffened. "And it shall not happen again," she breathed, panic and guilt overcoming her expression. "This mere act of charity does not mean I have the courage of those who continue to oppose the Dark Lord."