ϟ57: CHAOTIC EXPLANATIONϟ

"Not now, Luna. Mummy's busy."

Pandora Lovegood smiled at her nine year old daughter as she set her down on the stool next to her table. Young Luna had her blonde hair tied into tiny braids and her blue dress accentuated her silvery blue eyes.

Deciding to go back to her work, Pandora brought her wand and her log book out. Scanning the records, she noted the number of times she'd experimented with the spell she'd been working on for weeks. Up until now, she'd successfully invented about seven spells. She had been struggling with the eighth one, and she hoped that today would be the fateful day.

Pandora waved her wand in a determined manner, eager to make it work. The wand glistened with warmth, but the light was extinguished as quickly as it was conjured. Sighing wearily, Pandora tried again, this time tweaking the wand movement, the pronunciation and a few syllables of the spell.

Nothing.

Gritting her teeth tightly, she repeated the incantation again, this time changing the entire words altogether as a spontaneous decision. She felt a tug at her heart when she saw Luna looking at her fearfully.

"I'm scared, Mama."

"Don't worry sweetheart, it'll be alright."

Which was the biggest lie she'd ever told her daughter.

The tip of her wand glowed a little too much. It vibrated a little too much. And still it didn't occur to Pandora to put up protective spells.

"Mummy?" Luna asked worriedly, her braids swinging back and forth with each shake of her head. "What's happening?"

But before Pandora could reply, the spell went horribly wrong. A cloud of black light erupted from her wand, and the force of the explosion was enough to send Pandora spiraling into the wall behind her, where, with a sickening crunch, her head and her spine collided with the wall.
Luna, who was thrown off the stool to the ground, watched her mother as the latter collapsed onto the floor like a dying star—beautifully tragic and at the same time a promise for devastation.

Luna scrambled over to her mother, feeling a tingle of fear seep into her heart. "Mummy? Wake up."
Luna shook her slightly, oblivious to the dark beads of blood trickling down Pandora's head and the odd way her spine was curved. "You're okay, Mummy. Wake up."

And there was something unfairly beautiful and peaceful about the dead. So peaceful that they could have passed for just being asleep. After all, as the saying goes: death is sleep, and life is insomnia.

"Mummy?"

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

"So let me get this straight: you're Rhea Arquette, you're Luna Lovegood, you were born in 1980 and 1981 respectively, you travelled back in time through a Doorway built by a demigod named Caelus who also happens to be the son of Janus, the God of Time & Doorways and Snivellus here was the first to find out about your little secret. After a few months Moony and Red joined your FOTT club. Technically Rhea's twenty and Luna's nineteen, but a de-aging potion solved that minor problem. There was a war in your time because You-Know-Who somehow resurrected himself after sort-of dying in 1981on Halloween, and Rhea was on the run with her friends to destroy his hoaxes—"

"Hocruxes—"

"—while Luna was held captive at Malfoy Manor. So to sum it up, the future sucks. Did I get it all right?"