➴ Epilogue: Wish ➴

<< I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us. >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<< Date: June 28th, 2047 >>

<< Location: B06 - 32 >>

June 28th and March 21st.

Those two dates were landmines within the bunker. Anyone who lived in Minerva's haven for a year knew that all too well. Whenever each of those days rolled around the corner, it was as if all of the pressure had dropped. The clambering, excitable home became lifeless, filled with only whispers and somber expressions. Even the ones that didn't know them in their lives knew who they were.

Norman and [Name]. The last shipments of Grace Field's third plantation and Ray and Emma's best friends. This year would be the second time they'd had to celebrate their birthday without them.

Last year, the two leaders had hidden away in their rooms, grieving with their memories. The former Goldy Pond residents hadn't known what was the matter with them until the Grace Field escapees had told them of their fallen friends. It was the first time that Oliver, or any of the hunting ground's escapees, had ever heard of Emma and Ray's closest friends.

Yuugo, one of the two adults in the bunker, knew their pain well. Having dealt with similar grief himself, he knew to leave them in their grief. Sometimes, you just needed to be alone.

"It's today, isn't it," Oliver said quietly, noticing the dampened mood. He wasn't the oldest in the Goldy Pond escapees, being only 15. However, Oliver was the most experienced, and therefore, seen as the leader. His snow-white hair, messy and short with a single red strand, shifted as he ran a hand through it.

Besides him, Gilda nodded, confirming his speculation. She had changed over the year and a half as well. She was taller and more mature, her ivy hair now long enough to be held up in a ponytail. Looking over the Grace Field children, they too were grieving - although not as much as their elder siblings were.

"Yes," she exhaled, her gaze dropping. "It is. [Name]'s birthday is today."

"Oh," Oliver nodded in understanding. "Do you also need some time alone? Me and the others should be able to handle the chores today."

Gilda shook her head. "No, I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" Oliver asked in quiet concern. Gilda nodded, and he didn't press further. "Well then, I'll start breakfast."

"Okay," Gilda accepted. "I'll help you."

She opened the doors to the pantry, looking around. Mindlessly selecting other ingredients she would need for today's breakfast, Gilda searched until she found her desired item. Oliver raised a brow at the yellow fruit.

"Bananas?" he questioned. Gilda smiled sadly.

"I thought I'd make banana bread today," she said softly. "[Name] loved making it back in the day. I think it was her favorite."

"It was."

Gilda and Oliver turned around in surprise. Emma smiled tiredly from behind them, giving them a half-hearted wave.

"Emma," Gilda managed, furrowing her brows. "What are you doing here?"

"Getting ready to hunt," Emma said, stretching her limbs. She tried for another smile. "I'm thinking sausages with the bread, so I want to get some rabbits."