✼ Chapter Eleven: Pretend ✼

<< How does it feel to be the one playing pretend? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

[Name] slipped on her boots, lacing them together with quick and precise movements. It was 5 in the morning, so her siblings were still snoozing away in their beds. She sighed, standing up and stretching. Time to start cooking up breakfast.

With a strangled gasp, Emma shot up in her bed, breathing heavily. [Name] blinked, still in the middle of stretching. As if the ginger hadn't noticed her, Emma stared down at her clenched fists, eyes wide with horror.

"Nightmare?" [Name] asked, walking over. Emma nodded mutely. The bed creaked as [Name] sat down next to Emma. She placed a hand on her head, rubbing her scalp softly as she guided Emma's head to her lap. Said ginger lay there motionlessly, save for her trembling. [Name] hummed a tune as she stroked her hair. "Feel better?"

Emma didn't respond, only nuzzled her face into [Name]'s stomach. [Name] exhaled, patting Emma's head. "I have to go soon."

Emma shook her head. "Don't go," she whimpered. "Don't leave me alone."

[Name]'s eyes softened. For once in her life, Emma let herself be vulnerable. No one noticed, but Emma had always put up a smiling front. She never once let herself break, because she had to be the brave one. Even when she was sad, she always held it in. That was unless it considered her family.

Emma always broke when it came to her family.

"I have to," [Name] said. "Mother'll kill me if I'm late."

Emma tensed up. [Name] realized the hidden meaning in her words. She wasn't exactly lying, though. Isabella had threatened to ship [Name] out multiple times. But [Name] knew that she wouldn't, especially since she was of premium quality.

She exhaled. Emma was one of [Name]'s four weaknesses, and everyone knew it. "Fine," she said, giving in. "I'll stay."

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Listen, Emma," Norman said, leaning against the window as he watched the playing children outside. "We have to act like we normally do. Yesterday, we broke the rules and went to the gate. But we didn't find anything."

[Name] hid behind the corner, her back pressed against the wall with her arms crossed. Isabella had given her a new order: spy, eavesdrop and keep an eye on those two. She hated doing this, but it was all necessary to ensure their survival.

"But Little Bunny..." Emma murmured.

"Yeah, Mom probably found it," Norman said. "When she got back, she was already interrogating [Name]. She sounded irritated."

"Interrogating?" Emma asked. Norman nodded.

"She asked why [Name]'s shoulder was wet," Norman said. "[Name] said it was one of the babies, but in the end, Mom seemed to relax. I think she's onto us."

"Do you think [Name] told her?"

Norman's face hardened. "It's a definite possibility," he said begrudgingly. "[Name] tells everything to Mom. She trusts her so much, and she's Mom's right-hand woman." His eyes widened. "Wait... Right-hand woman.."

He's figured it out, [Name] smirked. Quick as always, Norman.

"Norman?" Emma said. Norman rubbed his chin.

"Think about it," he said with sudden urgency. "[Name] and Mom were always close. [Name]'s basically Mom's servant."

"Do you think she knows?" said Emma.