✼ Chapter Ten: Side ✼

<< Which side are you on? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Night had fallen over the orphanage. [Name] peeked around the corner of a hallway, a lantern in her hands. The wall was covered with the children's drawings. [Name] spotted Isabella, holding a particular drawing her chest with a fond smile. When she shifted, she revealed a drawing [Name] knew too well.

"[Name], I drew something for Mama. Do you think she'll like it?"

The (h/c)-haired girl sighed, leaning against the wall.

"You know, it's funny," she said, drawing the attention of the ravenette. "You pretend to love us so much, and yet you'll send us to our deaths without a second thought."

Isabella stared her down from the corner of her eyes, her smile vanishing. [Name] continued to press.

"Do you even love us?" she asked. Isabella only stared at her, a silent threat swirling in her eyes.

[Name] pushed herself off the wall, the lantern in her hands swinging. "Conny's waiting," she said, turning around and walking off to the bedrooms.

"[Name]!" Conny said happily, her face brightening as the girl opened the door. "How do I look?"

"You look normal, has something changed?" asked [Name], smiling. Conny pouted. [Name] laughed, shaking her head and patting Conny on the head. "I'm joking. You look great, Conny."

Conny closed her eyes. "Thank you, [Name]," she said. "I'll miss you. You're like a second Mom when Mama's not around."

Subconsciously, [Name]'s face hardened at the comparison. She was nothing like that woman. Nothing.

"[Name]?" Conny asked, snapping [Name] out of her thoughts. "Are you okay?"

[Name] blinked, before smiling down at her. "I'm fine," she assured, taking Conny's hand in one hand and her suitcase in the other. "Let's go meet Mom."

As they entered the main hall, Emma rushed up to greet them. She squished Conny's cheeks.

"You looked great, Conny! And so does Little Bunny," she said, noting the little top hat on Conny's bunny. Conny hugged the plush tighter.

"[Name] made it for me! Isn't she the best?" Conny asked, grinning toothily.

"It's just basic origami, nothing special," [Name] denied, shaking her head. Conny squeezed her hand.

"But it's special to me," she said. "So thanks, [Name]."

[Name] nodded. "Of course," she said, letting go of Conny's hand and patting her head. "Goodbye, Conny."

She handed Isabella Conny's suitcase and retreated to the back of the crowd in between Don and Ray. Looking down, she could see Ray's hand trembling as Conny made her goodbye speech. [Name]'s face softened. Despite sacrificing Conny and some of their other siblings, they still felt grief and guilt. They didn't like what they did, but it was necessary for survival.

Ray looked down, feeling a warm hand wrap around his own. He met [Name]'s eyes. The girl smiled, squeezing his hand. Ray exhaled, meeting [Name]'s eyes once more with a slight smile of his own, squeezing back. They looked back at the front when Conny started crying.

"What happened?" [Name] whispered. Ray shrugged.

"Don't ask me, I wasn't paying attention," he whispered back. Besides them, Don and Emma had started to cry. [Name] and Ray averted their eyes awkwardly.